Downloading Mint straight into a partition.

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Downloading Mint straight into a partition.

Postby 2004beachbum on Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:41 pm

I have a laptop with XP, I would like to experiment with Linux Mint. I would prefer to use Partition Magic to create a partition and Boot Magic to select XP or Linux
The Mint download ISO runs [via CD] from Windows and creates its own partition and swap files, how do I bypass this and install Linux directly without using a CD or USB.
2004beachbum
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Downloading Mint straight into a partition.

Postby altair4 on Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:20 pm

I too create my own partitions first and use a third party bootloader to boot so I understand the first part of your post. The second part about running from within Windows I understand to mean you're using mint4win which creates a virtual machine like install of Mint within the windows partition.

What I don't understand is the very last phrase:
install Linux directly without using a CD or USB.

I don't know what you mean by that. Please clarify.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
altair4
Level 15
Level 15

Postby rich_roast on Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:51 pm

Perhaps the OP is referring to a net install. I don't think that is supported by Mint (yet), but may be wrong or there may be a way to get it working but it seems to me more trouble than it's worth, bar dire circumstances.
rich_roast
Level 6
Level 6

Postby DrHu on Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:11 pm

2004beachbum wrote:The Mint download ISO runs [via CD] from Windows and creates its own partition and swap files, how do I bypass this and install Linux directly without using a CD or USB.

..how do I bypass this and install Linux directly without using a CD or USB
That looks like the magic part. how do I use an installer medium without using an installer medium
    Or maybe I am reading too much into that statement ?
You can use a manual setup to be able to make use of the partition you have already provided..
--but it is just as easy, simply to have the free space available and let Mint automatically fill in the partition with its default partition table/setups..

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Insta ... /MinimalCD
http://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/
If it is a netinstall option, they all use a minimal or boot CD to get started and then download the rest
http://www.the-labs.com/Qemu/

Whatis netwinstall..
http://www.macos.utah.edu/documentation ... store.html
    NetInstall, a.k.a. Network Install, was introduced with Mac OS X Server 10.2, as a method of network-booting Mac clients to distribute application software and OS updates.
    Nothing new then, PXE has been used for a long time for workstation automated installs..
DrHu
Level 16
Level 16

Postby Fred on Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:58 pm

I think what the thread starter means is something like what is described in the link below. This is for sidux however, so it doesn't apply as written for Ubuntu or Mint. sidux patched grub to make that cheat code available. I might add that I just did a clean install of the latest version of sidux KDE full. The total install time using fromiso was 1' 26". :-)

http://manual.sidux.com/en/hd-install-opts-en.htm

This is one of the advantages with the new grub2. fromiso or similar will be enabled for any distro using grub2, as I understand it.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby 2004beachbum on Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:14 pm

Thanks for your collective help, I now have Mint 7 on my laptop but i would prefer to install Linux into a primary partion that I have set up using Boot Magic.

I have my CD with the following folders/files; dsk casper drivers isolinux preseed autorun lmmenu mdsum mint4win

I note that the standard installation offers the choice of setting partitions manually but I'm not sure that I have the knowledge to do this properly, is there an easier way?

Please be aware that I am a lazy drag and drop person with no interest in the nuts and bolts of mounting partitions!
2004beachbum
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions