Root password?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Root password?

Postby CelestialKnight on Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:06 pm

So here's my problem:

After installing, I booted into normal mode, and all I saw was my cursor and a black screen. I DID get a window asking me if I wanted to use a root password, and I chose no.

The black screen thing happened in the LiveCD too. I solved this problem by entering recovery mode and removing compiz-core, and compiz, because apparently they don't like my graphics card.

Back to the installation, as I said, I chose "no" when it asked if I wanted a root password. I shutdown, and went to recovery mode to try and remove compiz/compiz-core, but to my surprise, it demands that I have a root password before I get into the console.

Now I have no way of getting into LinuxMint because I can't remove compiz/compiz-core, and no way of removing compiz/compiz-core because I have no root password.

Is there ANYTHING I can do?

EDIT: I'd just like to say, I DID try the password I set during installation. No good.
CelestialKnight
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Root password?

Postby slider on Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:38 pm

Hi there!
A lot of users occasionally have similar problems like this, even experienced users. This is why I personally believe that everyone should have an "root account" on hand to use if they ever need it. The problem then becomes getting users to understand HOW and WHEN to use it. Root presents a real security risk if not used properly. If you have any questions about this ask some of us here and we'll be glad to teach you more.

Instead of me writing a complete "how to" here, Im going to steer you to a really good "how to" that already exists> Here and Here

This should fix you up just fine. Just follow the guide. You can let us know how things turn out if you want.

tgc
slider
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Root password?

Postby CelestialKnight on Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:47 pm

slider wrote:Hi there!
A lot of users occasionally have similar problems like this, even experienced users. This is why I personally believe that everyone should have an "root account" on hand to use if they ever need it. The problem then becomes getting users to understand HOW and WHEN to use it. Root presents a real security risk if not used properly. If you have any questions about this ask some of us here and we'll be glad to teach you more.

Instead of me writing a complete "how to" here, Im going to steer you to a really good "how to" that already exists> Here and Here

This should fix you up just fine. Just follow the guide. You can let us know how things turn out if you want.

tgc

Thanks. That first link helped get this fixed...
CelestialKnight
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions