ATI 4670 problems

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

ATI 4670 problems

Postby Azorix on Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:09 pm

Hello,
I have installed this card, ATI HD4670, on two different machines running Linux Mint with the same results. Very slow opening windows, WoW takes forever to launch and run. I loaded the proprietary drivers through the hardware control panel and even tried downloading from ATI. Can't even open( window is just gray and freezes)the easy configure window for Compiz. Are the ATI Linux drivers just junk? Or is it this particular card? I also have Mint running on a machine(same one I had the ATI card in) with an Nvidia card and it works great, no problems at all. This is no emergency because I think I'll just put that card in my mothers computer but I would like to know what the difficulty is for future reference.
Azorix
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: ATI 4670 problems

Postby rich_roast on Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:40 pm

I don't know about that specific card, but ATi dropped Linux support for their some of their older cards some time ago, and the older drivers no longer work with current versions of Xorg. This leaves owners of older ATi cards (like my Radeon M10) in a Catch-22 situation except for the presence of the alternative open source Xorg drivers (radeon) - however, these are currently a little lacking in 3d support. Sit tight, though, things are looking up since it seems that improvements are on the way with kernel 2.6.32.
rich_roast
Level 6
Level 6

Return to Newbie Questions