Dual Boot Error

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Dual Boot Error

Postby PortedMetal on Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:54 pm

i am running a dual boot system with Mint 7 on one hard disk and Windows XP on another. after installing Linux, Windows will not boot. everytime i try it starts the recovery process and then gives me a fatal error. I'm just trying to get some ideas as to what happened.
PortedMetal
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Dual Boot Error

Postby Verix on Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:21 pm

Have you tried booting from the windows boot CD or the recovery partition and choosing the repair option? That's what I had to do after installing Mint 7.
Verix
Level 2
Level 2

Postby PortedMetal on Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:39 pm

The computer in question is an HP and it didn't come with a recovery cd. I have tried booting from the recovery partition but it still gives me the same fatal error message.
PortedMetal
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Verix on Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:27 am

What does the error say? Maybe there is a way for you to burn the content of the recovery partition from Mint to a CD, if that's even possible. I've heard of people doing that from Windows. IMO it's preferable to have a standalone boot CD.
Verix
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Newbie Questions