Linux Mint on Portable Hardrive?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Linux Mint on Portable Hardrive?

Postby Ssurno on Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:52 am

Yeah it's been a while since I posted. You know this was my first linux distro? :) Anyway....
I was thinking about installing Linux on a portable hardrive. Has anyone had any luck with this? Are there any performance drawbacks to this method? I know installing Mint on the drive and setting the BIOS is easy.
Ssurno
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Linux Mint on Portable Hardrive?

Postby DrHu on Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:41 pm

Ssurno wrote:I was thinking about installing Linux on a portable hardrive. ...Are there any performance drawbacks to this method?

It is usually just an ide or sata drive with a USB interface, although there are faster interfaces available for some types of external drives, especially if they were to be used in a NAS (network attached storage) style as a data or media store..

Are there any performance drawbacks to this method?
Speed of the interface is the limitation (for USB)

And if you need the external drive to be bootable with Linux mint, that requires additional setup to allow the BIOS to boot a usb device (which also has to include some boot loader files.)
Unetbootin, is an example of handling that situation
http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/
DrHu
Level 16
Level 16

Return to Newbie Questions