Permission to write

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Part of this has been a bit of learning for me as well, I had mount problems of my own - the more you dig into anything the more you learn
If my memory serves me correct you only have one ntfs partition.
It's both mintDisk and mintDesktop putting an icon on the desktop - skip one of them and you'll only have one icon
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

Husse wrote:If my memory serves me correct you only have one ntfs partition. It's both mintDisk and mintDesktop putting an icon on the desktop - skip one of them and you'll only have one icon
Here's my theory, from one who is slightly more than a noob. I believe the 1st icon is dropped on the desktop when windows got mounted to the ntfs partition /media/sda1. Its permission is Create and delete. The 2nd icon is dropped there, following Clem's suggestion, when I removed all reference to the FAT/NTFS partition in the fstab (which, btw, included the /media/sda1). However, it permission is Read and write, which is what I wanted.

I know Read/write access to ntfs flies in the face of advice given by the Linux gurus, but what the hell, that what I want; it's a learning experience and I'm experimenting here. If it does cause problems, I've have backups and I'm getting very adept at reloading software. I've even learned how to overcome the problems loading the M word OS since Dell told me it would cost me $39 for them to help me.

So now that you know my theory, is there a way to eliminate one of the icons and still have Read and write access?
Husse

Post by Husse »

Sorry I was not clear
It's both mintDisk and mintDesktop putting an icon on the desktop - skip one of them and you'll only have one icon
Skip - i.e. open either application and untick the option it has for showing the disk on the desktop - possbily mintDesktop
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

Husse wrote:Sorry I was not clear
Skip - i.e. open either application and untick the option it has for showing the disk on the desktop - possbily mintDesktop
Ok thanks. I'll try it when I get home from work.

BTW, I'd like to go on record saying that I really appreciate the sharing of knowledge and/or expertise within this community. I wish I could name all those who have unselfishly given of themselves since I joined last November, but I'd forget someone and hurt somebodies feelings...and I'm sure we've all done that without meaning to. Let me just say to all who have contributed (noob or guru alike), THANKS! Great job everybody. This is not only a great disto, but a great community...and let's keep talking, it's the only way to avoid misunderstandings in this most inefficient way of communicating.

PS, perhaps I should have listed this where it would have gotten more more visibility. You can move it if you want. I won't be offended
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

Husse wrote:Sorry I was not clear
When I "opened" them (double-clicked) all it did was open the folder. However, I went to MintDesktop and uncheck the Mounted Volumes and that removed the one I wanted it to. Don't know how to remove the other one yet, but I don't want that one removed, I'm just curious how to do it :) I know I can put it back in the fstab, but then I don't know if I can read/write to it.

Return to “Beginner Questions”