easiest way to share folder locally between Mint 8 and XP?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
snuff

easiest way to share folder locally between Mint 8 and XP?

Post by snuff »

Hello, im looking for the easiest way to share a 35GB folder between my laptop which is dual boot Mint 8 / vista and my desktop which is XP - the reason for this is i want to delete vista and mint8 partitions from my laptop and do a fresh install of just mint 8 as my only OS but i dont want to lose my personal files which are in the vista partition on the laptop, so i need to transfer them to the XP desktop then once i have reinstalled mint 8 back to the laptop.
hope that makes sense :)
thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Teucca

Re: easiest way to share folder locally between Mint 8 and XP?

Post by Teucca »

Use this https://www.dropbox.com/ I use it in three machine, and all data is maintained!
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Open Nautilus
Right Click on the folder you want to share
Choose Sharing Options
Check off all the boxes
Select Create Share

Procedurally it's the same as if you were doing it in Windows.

If the folder is not owned by you but by root then you need to open Nautilus as root first:
Press Alt+F2
Type gksu nautilus
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
snuff

Post by snuff »

CO2 wrote:Use this https://www.dropbox.com/ I use it in three machine, and all data is maintained!
Thanks for the reply - i have just installed this on the laptop but i'm unclear does this send all my files over the internet because i dont have the internet allowance to send 35GB, i just need to send them to the desktop in the other room, i have a wifi router connected to the desktop and wifi on my laptop.
altair4 wrote:Open Nautilus
Right Click on the folder you want to share
Choose Sharing Options
Check off all the boxes
Select Create Share

Procedurally it's the same as if you were doing it in Windows.

If the folder is not owned by you but by root then you need to open Nautilus as root first:
Press Alt+F2
Type gksu nautilus
Sorry i have never shared files before - how do i see laptop files on my desktop with this?
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Actually, I just read your original post again. ( I really need to read twice then post :oops: ). You're asking about transfering files Vista to WinXP across the network. Well as I said above it's the same procedure. Let's do this on the WinXP end:

Create a folder on WinXP that will hold the Vista Files.
Right Click on that folder and select Sharing and Security > Share this Folder > Allow Network Users to Change My Files

On the Vista end use Network > Workgroup > Share to access the WinXP share and copy and paste.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
snuff

Post by snuff »

Ok i finally managed to do it from Vista to XP - however i have now deleted Vista completely so the laptop is Mint 8 only, so i need to go from XP to Mint 8. :P

thanks.
RedWagon

Post by RedWagon »

In Mint go to Menu -> Network and look for your XP machine. If you don't see it type

Code: Select all

smb://Hostname
in the address bar except replace Hostname with the hostname of your XP box.
snuff

Post by snuff »

RedWagon wrote:In Mint go to Menu -> Network and look for your XP machine. If you don't see it type

Code: Select all

smb://Hostname
in the address bar except replace Hostname with the hostname of your XP box.

XP is not there - noob question what do i type smb://computer name into? - if its terminal i did that any nothing was found.

Snuff.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

snuff wrote:noob question what do i type smb://computer name into? - if its terminal i did that any nothing was found.
Snuff.
Short Term:
Press Alt+F2 ( Press the Alt and F2 keys together )
Type nautilus smb://Hostname

Long Term:
Open Nautilus
On the 3rd taskbar from the top on the far left is an icon that looks like this:
nautilus.png
Click on this and the "Location" bar opens up so you can type the smb://........
Last edited by altair4 on Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
deleted

Post by deleted »

Don't forget that in order to do:

smb://hostname

You either need to be running a dns server (which I don't)
or put the ip/hostname mapping in the

/etc/hosts

file.

-H

Return to “Beginner Questions”