tar.gz file

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
oldlearner

tar.gz file

Post by oldlearner »

I would like to go to the Official Songbird Open Source Media Player site to download the latest version but it comes in the form of a tar.gz file. Could i ask someone to explain in the simplest possible way how i might download and install this type of file please. Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
oldlearner

Re: tar.gz file

Post by oldlearner »

Have downloaded and extracted the tar.gz file to my desktop?

I then opened a terminal and navigated to my desktop using the cd command but unfortunately that's it i'm lost!
Rank0

Post by Rank0 »

The tar.gz contains a precompiled Songbird, no need to compile it yourself. So you can disregard the advice given in the link posted by DrHu.

Here are instructions on how to install Songbird in Ubuntu: How do I install Songbird in Ubuntu?

But the Mint repositories already include the latest version of Songbird, so you could just install it by typing sudo apt-get install songbird in a terminal. Another way is to grab an installer from removed.net, but that way Songbird won't be automatically updated when a new version comes out.

Or, if you prefer a graphical way of doing things, you can use Mint's Software Manager, Synaptic or Mint's Software Portal to install Songbird. Now there's a lot of options right there :D
oldlearner

Post by oldlearner »

I downloaded the Songbird tar.gz file from the official site because i thought it was the latest version available. When i installed the program via Synaptic Package Manager and then tried to run it, it would freeze up the desktop? Anyway, i followed the instructions as given and i now have my favourite media player up and running. Big thanks
Rank0

Post by Rank0 »

oldlearner wrote:I downloaded the Songbird tar.gz file from the official site because i thought it was the latest version available. When i installed the program via Synaptic Package Manager and then tried to run it, it would freeze up the desktop? Anyway, i followed the instructions as given and i now have my favourite media player up and running. Big thanks
Glad to hear you got it working!
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

Rank0 wrote:The tar.gz contains a precompiled Songbird, no need to compile it yourself. So you can disregard the advice given in the link posted by DrHu.
  • Don't be calling me too sensitive, yet!
    But...
Heh!
I only responded directly to the question, how to install source file software
--I didn't bother to check the application itself to find out if the latest was in apt, or that it was a package file from their site, or if the sourcecode version was the absolute latest..
Rank0

Post by Rank0 »

DrHu wrote:
Rank0 wrote:The tar.gz contains a precompiled Songbird, no need to compile it yourself. So you can disregard the advice given in the link posted by DrHu.
  • Don't be calling me too sensitive, yet!
    But...
Heh!
I only responded directly to the question, how to install source file software
--I didn't bother to check the application itself to find out if the latest was in apt, or that it was a package file from their site, or if the sourcecode version was the absolute latest..
Yeah, in this case there was no need to compile but then again, it's good to learn that, too. It wasn't my intention to disparage you, DrHu, just to add some additional information to the thread. I appreciate your help on this your forum, you seem to have good skills in multitasking and typing :wink:

Oh, and I did download the packages, both official and nightly build, just to check whether they were sources or precompiled. Maybe I have too much time on my hands :D

Return to “Beginner Questions”