Mint 8 RC1 Netgear Wireless Support

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Mint 8 RC1 Netgear Wireless Support

Postby Homer on Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:34 pm

I downloaded the Mint 8 RC1 and it seemed to start OK from the live CD but I was unable to establish a wireless connection with my Netgear wireless card. Under Mint 7 there was a drop down menu which let you choose Netgear Atheros. I couldn't find this option under Mint 8. Is it no longer supported or should I be looking elsewhere within Mint 8?

Thank you.

Update 11/19/09: I have found that the above issue is only present when you boot from the live Mint 8 CD. Once I took the plunge and installed Mint 8 on my laptop (old IBM T30, which seems to run Mint just fine!) the installation detected the Netgear wireless card I have and the correct hardware comes up (in my case the Atheros wireless adapter, although it is listed as "Atheros Atheros with the name given twice, bug?) first dialog box when trying to make a connection to a network and it connects perfectly. Thanks Mint Team! :D
Last edited by Homer on Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Homer
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Mint 8 RC1 Netgear Wireless Support

Postby lexon on Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:19 pm

I installed Mint 8 and the wireless looked just fine for me. Lower right of the screen I saw the icon for networks. The icon for me is between the padlock icon and icon for the sound level. Right click and I see five options to choose from.
Enable Networking
Enable Wireless
Connection info
Edit Connections
Help

lex
Lindows, Linspire, Freespire, Ubuntu, Mint 15 Cinnamon, Mint 16 XFCE, Mint 17 Cinnamon 64 bit.
lexon
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Homer on Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:32 am

The problem exists when you try to connect to a new and/or hidden wireless network. You go to connect to either a "new" or "hidden" wireless network, and in Mint 7 the first thing you got was a dialog box with a drop down menu in which you could choose either "Intel Prism 2.5 Wavelan" or "Netgear Atheros AR5001X+ Wireless Network Adapter." In Mint 8 this is missing and the new distribution does not work "out of the box" with the Netgear card I have, where as the "Netgear Atheros AR5001X+ Wireless Network Adapter" choice in Mint 7 worked perfectly.
Homer
Level 1
Level 1

Postby bobcollard on Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:10 am

Homer wrote:I downloaded the Mint 8 RC1 and it seemed to start OK from the live CD but I was unable to establish a wireless connection with my Netgear wireless card. Under Mint 7 there was a drop down menu which let you choose Netgear Atheros. I couldn't find this option under Mint 8. Is it no longer supported or should I be looking elsewhere within Mint 8?

Thank you.

Although my network card is Broadcom the problem was the same. Try going to Hardware Drivers and see if your driver is there. You will need an ethernet connection to download it, but, mine worked after that.
Robert Collard, Springfield, IL
Dell Inspiron 1545 Laptop, Intel Duo T3400 CPUs @2.16 Ghz. 4GB RAM
Linux Mint Debian Edition, Xfce 4.6.2 Desktop, 2.6.37-0.dmz.6-liquorix-amd64
bobcollard
Level 5
Level 5

Postby lexon on Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:01 pm

Oops I was thinking of a Netgear Router which I use for wireless connecting.
lex
Lindows, Linspire, Freespire, Ubuntu, Mint 15 Cinnamon, Mint 16 XFCE, Mint 17 Cinnamon 64 bit.
lexon
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Newbie Questions