It is possible to save the programs installers before...

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
OU812
Level 3
Level 3

Post by OU812 »

If this were a slack-based distro, I could tell you were the extra packages are stored. But if there is a particular folder that they are downloaded to, then just find it and back it up. Then you can install the packages by hand. You might even be able to do it by right-clicking on the package in the file manager. Sorry, still new to debian so I can't give you more than that.

john
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Downloaded packages are found in
/var/cache/apt/archives
You can copy them from there (needs root privileges)
Why do you want to format your drive every two months or so? :roll:
Totally unnecessary!
Especially in Linux, your system does not get bloated....
Maybe after your first attempt you'd like it a bit better organized
Not even in Windows is this necessary.....but more understandable
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: It is possible to save the programs installers before...

Post by scorp123 »

wdc wrote: i like to format my partitions every couple of months or so
oh dear .... :roll: This is not Windows! :lol: There is absolutely no need for this. Even if there are problems you can usually fix them without falling back to those scary habits Windows forces people into ... :roll:
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

Another thing I came across in another posting is "AptOnCD" ... apparently you can put all the stuff you downloaded onto CD and then use the CD as "Installation Source" on another PC .... or on the same PC in case of a re-installation.

I didn't try it out yet ... but I thought I'd mention it here in case anyone is interested in something like this.

Return to “Beginner Questions”