Can't log in after install of Skype 2.1 - SOLVED

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Can't log in after install of Skype 2.1 - SOLVED

Postby bouchardpie on Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:54 pm

Hello,
I'm new to Linux. Great so far, but I'm stumped with this problem.
The system reboots and gets to the login screen. I enter my uname and pword and then I get a black screen showing only the cursor. The desktop doesn't start. Just hangs there.

Hoping I don't need to do a re-install. I have a boot DVD, but I don't know what problem to look for... help!
Last edited by bouchardpie on Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
bouchardpie
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Can't log in after install of Skype 2.1

Postby bouchardpie on Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:33 pm

I seem to have solved this problem for the most part - myself.

I figured out how to get a terminal session at the login window. I then re-installed Gnome - and it worked. But one lingering problem is that the "mintMenu" didn't start, and it is not on list of available additions when i right-click the bar at the bottom and to to the "+ Add to Panel" area.

How can I get that back?
bouchardpie
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Can't log in after install of Skype 2.1 - SOLVED

Postby dawgdoc on Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:12 am

You may need to repost. Once you added the [SOLVED] to the title, there is a good chance that the smart guys are skipping over your post, not realizing that you had a second question.

SYSTEM: Compaq Presario CQ62 Dual-Boot: Mint 13 Gnome x32 PAE, LMDE
READING: The Autobiography of Benvenuto Cellini
dawgdoc
Level 9
Level 9

Return to Newbie Questions