missing destination file operand after .....

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DruKe

Re: missing destination file operand after .....

Post by DruKe »

Sure thing! First off, welcome! Hope your enjoying Linux.

The first thing to understand is a global variable to help solve your problem. The global variable is much like the PATH setting in Windows. Open up a terminal, type this:
$HOME
It should display something like this:

Code: Select all

bash: /home/Xye: is a directory
Now we'll see if the installation added those global variables or not. At the command prompt, type this:
$FOAM_RUN
If the installation set the global variable $FOAM_RUN, it should display a path.
Do the same for $WM_PROJECT_DIR

If either do not list a directory, your commands will not work.

Please post your results and we'll get you on track!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

Xye wrote:when I type the mkdir into the terminal nothing actually happens so far as i can see. (Is it supposed to???)
Yes, it would simply give a new line prompt indicating the command was accepted with no errors
  • --you can do an ls -l to see if the directory exists (was created), or use nautilus (Gnome, Mint file manager), you will see the results right away..

OpenFOAM..
http://www.opencfd.co.uk/openfoam/linux.html#linux
http://www.opencfd.co.uk/openfoam/doc/README.html
  • Installation
    After unpacking, the user should consult the README file for installation instructions (available in the release at $HOME/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-1.6/README).
    --that site's instruction guide including bashrc for installation edits needed..
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/OpenFOAM
  • First lets create the directories (folders) the application wants
In Mint 7, mint menu>Terminal
--opens a terminal in your /home directory; you can see that by entering (typing) pwd followed by hitting the enter key to end the command line, which will print (display) your directory location

In terminal, check
  • mkdir OpenFOAM
  • mkdir OpenFOAM/USER
  • cd OpenFOAM/USER
  • mkdir -p FOAM_RUN/run
    That gets the directory setup that the application needs according to your description,..
If you find the gui (nautilus) file manager easier, you can use that to create those directories (folders)
  • mint menu>Home Folder>right-click an empty area in the window of that display, Create Folder>OpenFOAM
Last edited by DrHu on Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:54 am, edited 8 times in total.
DruKe

Post by DruKe »

I have the files downloading right now. It seems like a pretty conveluded install.
Hang tight I'll get back with proper instructions.
:mrgreen:

Take it back I need to run somewhere. I'll check back later. Sorry! :shock:
Last edited by DruKe on Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
lagagnon

Post by lagagnon »

That means $FOAM_RUN means nothing to the system and is undefined. You have never defined that global variable in your system or set it properly.
I would ask why you are using variables to define directories? Makes no sense to me.
DruKe

Post by DruKe »

Shame.. the developers really *should* package that software a lot better.
:?

Return to “Beginner Questions”