ATI GRAPHICS CARD;CAN'T USE FULLSCREEN

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

ATI GRAPHICS CARD;CAN'T USE FULLSCREEN

Postby pong73 on Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:01 pm

Hey everyone. I seem to have run into a peculiar problem. I did a fresh install of Linux Mint 7,GNOME. I then activated the ATI/AMD propreitary FGLRX graphics driver, and even ran ati intitial config command and rebooted. Desktop effects work seamlessly. Problem is,everytime I try to watch anything in fullscreen mode, the screen just goes blank,as though the screen has been turned off and the only way to get out of it is a hard-boot. This happens with all video players and even on youtube.
Does anyone have an idea how to get around this?thanx.
pong73
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: ATI GRAPHICS CARD;CAN'T USE FULLSCREEN

Postby Husse on Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:19 pm

More facts are needed
- please read these simple rules
In your case it may be that full screen triggers a video mode your monitor can't use
Especially if you are running close to what the card can perform this could be a risk factor
Oh - hard reset - havde you heard of the REISUB method?
Press AltGr and SysRq* at the same time and key in REISUB and you get a nice restart - it is extremely unusual for this not to work
SysRq and PrtSCr are normally on the same key. My present keyboard does not have SysRq but the trick works with the PrintScreen key
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Re: ATI GRAPHICS CARD;CAN'T USE FULLSCREEN

Postby pong73 on Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:06 pm

Hello Husse,thanks for the advice.Thought I'd gone through all the stickys. I've scoured the net looking for solutions to problems related to the ATI fglrx driver,even on other distros like openSUSE, Mandriva and I always find other people having trouble with the ATI driver so I assumed that it was the same here on mint.

I'm running a hp dv5-1135-ei,ATI Mobility Raedon 3400. I messed something else up so I decided to do a fresh install of Linux Mint 7 and installed the graphics driver manually from the ATI website and seems to have worked because the fullscreen is now working. :D

Thanks.
pong73
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions