Install Mint over Ubuntu

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Install Mint over Ubuntu

Postby Nosaji on Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:34 am

I want to install Mint over Ubuntu. Last time I tried to wipe my Ubuntu partition I wrecked my computer. Whatever boot loader Ubuntu installed would error and I coudln't even boot back into windows. I just watend to makie sure I was doing everything correct this time.

Also, how do I reuse the same swap space that I am using for Ubuntu?

Thanks.
Nosaji
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Install Mint over Ubuntu

Postby d0ped on Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:52 am

So are you saying you want to dual-boot or wipe drive and start fresh.

I'm not really understanding your post
d0ped
Level 1
Level 1

Postby metroid_maniac on Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:52 am

Nosaji wrote:I want to install Mint over Ubuntu. Last time I tried to wipe my Ubuntu partition I wrecked my computer. Whatever boot loader Ubuntu installed would error and I coudln't even boot back into windows. I just watend to makie sure I was doing everything correct this time.

Also, how do I reuse the same swap space that I am using for Ubuntu?

Thanks.

Run the Linux Mint Live CD, use GParted and delete Ubuntu, Install Linux Mint. This will re-install the bootloader and SHOULD fix the problem.
metroid_maniac
Level 3
Level 3

Postby lexon on Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:59 am

I have done this quite a few times with different distros. All I do is select, Take over whole drive.

lex
Lindows, Linspire, Freespire, Ubuntu, Mint 15 Cinnamon, Mint 16 XFCE, Mint 17 Cinnamon 64 bit.
lexon
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Newbie Questions