Executables on Linux?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Executables on Linux?

Postby Rawb on Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:49 pm

Well let me start off by saying I'm a n00b to Linux. I just did a fresh install of Linux Mint on my laptop, and I'm having some problems with the drivers. I expected this to happen. What I didn't expect was that the drivers would be executable files, and apparently those are incompatible with Linux (not surprising). Is there any way to install my drivers w/ the executable files? Like, convert them somehow to something Linux can understand? I read about a prog called Wine that runs Windows programs inside of Linux, but I'm not sure this will fix my problem.

I'm at work right now so I can't offer more information than that, I was just wondering if I could get a running start on some possible solutions while I'm bored at work.

Thanks,
~Rawb
Rawb
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Executables on Linux?

Postby DrHu on Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:10 pm

Rawb wrote:I'm at work right now so I can't offer more information than that, I was just wondering if I could get a running start on some possible solutions while I'm bored at work.

viewtopic.php?f=90&t=33561&start=0

More context needed:software
What exactly are you trying to use/install: drivers for which device ?
DrHu
Level 16
Level 16

Postby Rawb on Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:17 pm

I'm trying to install drivers for my video card and NIC. I have an HP zv5340us laptop.
Rawb
Level 1
Level 1

Postby deep64blue on Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:26 pm

Rawb wrote:Well let me start off by saying I'm a n00b to Linux. I just did a fresh install of Linux Mint on my laptop, and I'm having some problems with the drivers. I expected this to happen. What I didn't expect was that the drivers would be executable files, and apparently those are incompatible with Linux (not surprising). Is there any way to install my drivers w/ the executable files? Like, convert them somehow to something Linux can understand? I read about a prog called Wine that runs Windows programs inside of Linux, but I'm not sure this will fix my problem.
Windows and Linux are totally different, you don't have to hunt for drivers etc or install exes, all of that is handled by the distribution. 98% of hardware works out of the box on modern Linux systems. What Hardware are you struggling with?

PS Wine is for running Windows programmes on Linux (e.g. Games, Office) and won't help you here.
deep64blue
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Rawb on Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:49 pm

I'm having some issues with the video card and I can't get my wireless interwebz to work.
Rawb
Level 1
Level 1

Postby pluraldave on Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:10 pm

It looks like you should have nvidia graphics so once you are connected to the internet Mint will alert you to download and install the nvidia driver.

How are you trying to connect to the network? Wired or wireless? It is very unusual for a wired connection to not work out of the box while wireless often has issues. If it's wireless try connecting with an ethernet cable and see what happens.

Open a terminal and enter the following commands one at a time.
Code: Select all
lspci

Code: Select all
lsusb

Copy and paste the results into a post here. Highlight the terminal output with your mouse and then centre-click to paste.
pluraldave
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Rawb on Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:31 pm

Ok, so I came home from work today and fired my laptop up. I plugged it directly into the modem (which I was too lazy to do earlier) and there were no problems with the network adapter. (w00t). I made the error in thinking that no wireless adapter driver meant to network adapter driver as well. Wrong. Everything was smooth sailing after I connected to the Interwebz. I have to say I'm pretty blown away by the aesthetics of Linux Mint. Pretty satisfied right about now. I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship with Linux.

Thanks for all the help, problem solved!

~Rawb.
Rawb
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions