Changing Login Backdrop

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Changing Login Backdrop

Postby Homer on Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:39 am

I've installed Mint 8 RC1 and love it. I'm just learning Linux so if this is one of those "stupid" questions, I'll apologize up front.

I do like the Mint 8 desktop background, the dark background, green patch in the lower right and the light shining down from the top of the screen. What I do NOT like (OK, we're talking just about personal preference here) is the multi colour bubble thing that shows up as the login desktop. Is there any way to change that first screen. It wasn't there until I updated the original Mint 8 RC1 installation, so something has changed since I installed from the live CD. There's go to be a way to change it back.

Thanks from a learning Linux Newbie.
Homer
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Changing Login Backdrop

Postby lagagnon on Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:09 am

lagagnon
Level 7
Level 7

Postby Homer on Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:09 pm

We're kidding . . . right?

I took a look at the links in the topic, and none of them apply to Mint 8. Here's what would help. I reinstalled Mint 8 RC1 from the CD. The login screen is fine, same as the desktop background. Before I update, can any one tell me where the ".png" (if that's what it is) file is that is used for the login background? That way, I can save a copy before I update RC1 and then replace the updated file with the one I saved.

Thanks, and thanks for putting up with yet another "newbie."
Homer
Level 1
Level 1

Postby XidCat on Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:00 pm

http://maketecheasier.com/mastering-grub-2-the-easy-way

http://www.ubuntumini.com/2009/09/hack- ... creen.html

The second link says Dell mini, but I used the instructions and it worked...
"Contrariwise", continued Tweedledee, "if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic."

Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass, Chapter 4
XidCat
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Homer on Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:12 am

Now this I can do. It will also serve as an intro for working within the Linux system. Outstanding! Thank you very much. I'll print out the pages and get to "play" a little. I'm learning something new every day.

Thanks again for the point in the right direction.
Homer
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions