Gnome and KDE

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Gnome and KDE

Postby HarryPotterFan on Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:52 am

Hi all.
Have been using Mint for years now, and it just keeps getting better and better.
IMHO Mint is the BEST Linux distro available.
I did have a question or two and hoped Boo or another could answer.

I have recently started using the main Mint release (Gnome) on some of my PCs because they just don't have the resources to handle KDE properly.
And Gnome is ok as a GUI, But it would be so very nice if there was a way to add a few features to Gnome that it currently does not have.
First let me say, I use Linux but know nothing about it. Much like I drive a car, but know nothing about working on them.

KDE gives more personalization options than Gnome does. And while I much prefer KDE to Gnome, I could for go KDE if Gnome had 3 features added to it that KDE has.

The first is the slide show wallpaper feature. Where you can have the GUI change the wallpaper every min or two or ten. Tile the picture, or full screen etc.
This was a feature about Linux that drew me away from windows years ago and I miss it very much in the Gnome release.

(Solved)The Second is single click mouse function. Having to double click on Icons and folders to open or activate them is annoying. And KDE (even windows allows single click) allows for this to be changed from double to single click.(Solved)

The third and final thing is the button arrangement. KDE allows you to move the buttons at the top of the windows. Put the X button on the left side of the window and leave the minimize maximize buttons on the right.
When I found this I began doing just that because there are times when we find ourselves at a web page and it is something we want to save or get info off of. We go up to minimize or maximize the screen and mistakenly hit the X button closing the window. This is a problem in that sometimes we arrive at these pages through this link and that, and can never find our way back again :shock:
Looking in the browser history does not work for me because I run my browser in what I call safe mode. Identity theft is so rampant these days I don't allow the browser to save any info, and close it when I am not at the PC.
Being able to move the buttons allows us to move the X button to the other side of the window so it can not be hit by mistake.

I was wondering. If it might be possible for these features to be added to Mint keeping it ahead of the pack.

Also, the 8.0 RC works perfectly on this laptop and my Acer which is very hard to find any distro that works it. Web cam still does not work, But it does not work with any Linux so no biggie. It also works better on my Asus EeePC Net book than Eeeebuntu did.
I am holding of installing 8.0 on the Acer until the KDE release is out and hoping it works. For some reason there are times that the Gnome release will work on a PC but the KDE release will not, or the other way around.

Keep up the good work.
HPF
Last edited by HarryPotterFan on Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
HarryPotterFan
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Gnome and KDE

Postby lagagnon on Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:02 am

HarryPotterFan wrote:The first is the slide show wallpaper feature.

http://gnome-hacks.org/hacks.html?id=657
The Second is single click mouse function.

click the computer icon, Edit, Preferences, Behaviour, Single Click
The third and final thing is the button arrangement. KDE allows you to move the buttons at the top of the windows.

Find a theme at www.gnome-look.org that has that sort of button arrangement and install and use that theme.
lagagnon
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Gnome and KDE

Postby HarryPotterFan on Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:09 am

Single click fixed, thank you.

the first and third :shock: :shock: :shock:
All greek to me.
I use Linux, I have actually converted several people away from windows to Linux, but I can't do stuff like that. Don't know how.
HarryPotterFan
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions