Dial Up Modem

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Dial Up Modem

Postby milos on Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:09 am

Hi ,
I have intel MD5690 modem-56kbps, and I don't know where I can see it in Linux Gloria Mint 7, it's different than in windows :) How can install it in Gloria and how can I make dial up connection ...I don't know ....Please help me ...thanks
milos
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Dial Up Modem

Postby Midnighter on Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:03 am

Is this an external serial modem, or an internal Win-modem? External should work fine, internal is "iffy".

You should be able setup connection from the Networking section. Not at Mint box now to give precise directions, sorry. But where it enables you to play with network setting in Control panel (or whatever name), should also see and allow you setup dialup also. Have a look./ Also, let us know what modem type it is. I don't want to go googling for obscure models, etc. Too tired, and nearly off to bed.

Cheers. :)
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Postby milos on Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:37 pm

It's external modem....it's ambient md 5690 (Intel)...i will see what u have told me.....thanks...anything else I should know about instalation, what kind of driver should I install for linux, I have driver for Windows xp but I think it's not the same ?
milos
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Midnighter on Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:16 am

There should not need be any extra driver needed for an external serial modem, majority should "just work". Linux has more hardware support built right in than Windows. Some exotic, or windows-only devices, prove difficult, but most standard hardware should work fine. Did you find the Network Connections setting?n You should see the modem there, and be able to enable it (turn iut on) and enter the needed settings there, such as number, username and password, etc.
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Return to Newbie Questions