Locked Out of my account due to Keyboard Layout issue

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Locked Out of my account due to Keyboard Layout issue

Postby mp2_bg on Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:18 pm

Good morning people,
I need HELP with the following problem:
I've been happily using Linux Mint 7 until recently. I have 3 different layouts on my keyboard - the standard English version (I think it may be called US-something) and two layouts for Cyrillic Alphabet (Bulgarian language). I have been using left CTRL button to switch between them.
The last time my laptop shut down automatically (due to low battery) most likely one of the Cyrillic Alphabets has been on.
Next time when I started the laptop - it boots to the "Log on / Welcome" screen and when I'm trying to type my user name - it does it only in Cyrillic symbols. Thus I can not proceed any further. The Left CTRL does not change the layout.
I know the hardware (keyboard) works, because the I boot to Widows XP on the same laptop - it works there, so it's not a hardware issue.
On the log in screen I have the "Options" "Language" and "Session" menus, but changing them did not solve this problem.
I can boot up the laptop also with the Mint Installation Disk and mount and see the files in both partitions (Linux Mint 7 & Windows XP) but I do not know what and where to change, in order to get rid of the Cyrillic layout at boot up.
Unfortunately Google and reading forums all day long did not help me so far.
I will highly appreciate if any one of you does.
Best regards,

mp2_bg
mp2_bg
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Locked Out of my account due to Keyboard Layout issue

Postby MaddogF16 on Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:17 pm

What about using recovery mode for the current kernel you're using?
MaddogF16
Level 5
Level 5

Postby mp2_bg on Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:59 pm

MaddogF16 wrote:What about using recovery mode for the current kernel you're using?

Explored that without any luck:
The Recovery mentu gave me the following options:

resume Resume normal boot
Well as it says - it resumes normal boot and I still have the same problem - Cyrillic symbols when I type my user name

clean Try to make free space
Nothing happens there.

dpkg Repair broken packages
It wanted to upgrade and install some packages, but aborted the operation despte me choosing "Y" (for Yes). Maybe the cyrillic alphabet again...

fsck File system check
I ran that.6.4% Non-contighuous. Nothing that's related to my problem

grub Update grub bootloader
I did that.

netroot Drop to root shell prompt with networking
At the end it says "Give root password for maintenance (Or type Control-D to continue)"
I type the only password I have ever used in this particular laptop or Contol-D ot CTRL-D and nothing

netroot Drop to root shell prompt
the same thing

xfix Try to auto repair graphic problems
well, that did not help either...
mp2_bg
Level 1
Level 1

Postby viking777 on Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:25 pm

From the live cd look into ~/.gconf/desktop/gnome/peripherals/keyboard/kbd/%25gconf.xml

Edit the line that looks like <stringvalue>xx</stringvalue> to read

<stringvalue>gb</stringvalue>

then reboot and see if that does it. It might not, as the login screen loads up well before your user preferences, but at least it is something to try.
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).
viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Return to Newbie Questions