Uninstallation

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Uninstallation

Postby jesuspoet on Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:40 am

How do I uninstall programs?
jesuspoet
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Uninstallation

Postby Silent Warrior on Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:44 am

Quite a few ways to do that:
1. In mintMenu, right-clicking a menu-item should give you the option of uninstalling (I'm running KDE at the moment, so I can't double-check right this minute).
2. Open Synaptic package manager (referred to in mintMenu as 'Package manager'), find what you want to remove, right-click or whatever you want and select to remove.
3. If you know the name of the package, (intermediate-expertish or generally not noobish - I don't officially recommend this approach,) you could always just open a terminal and enter 'sudo apt-get remove [package-name]'. Or with the option purge, to get rid of the configuration-files as well.
4. In the RC-version of mintInstall/Software manager, you can choose to uninstall packages as well, but since Helena isn't properly released yet, I assume you're running Gloria and have the version without this capability.

Pick your poison. :)
(How many other ways can we think of?)
Silent Warrior
Level 4
Level 4

Return to Newbie Questions