Slow Applications loading

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Slow Applications loading

Postby jashhad on Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:56 am

Dear All;

I'm using windows XP plus linux mint but according to my personal observation and experience i find linux mint bit slower than xp specially in loading applications, for exp. open office. kindly guide how to boost the system speed linux.

Regard,

M Junaid
Regards,

M Junaid
jashhad
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Slow Applications loading

Postby nadir on Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:55 am

have you got preload installed on a custom mint-installation (as its one of the first things i install i dont know)? if not try that.
nadir
Level 3
Level 3

Postby DrHu on Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:04 am

jashhad wrote:I'm using windows XP plus linux mint but according to my personal observation and experience i find linux mint bit slower than xp specially in loading applications
Windows pre-loads parts of the OS needed to support some applications, like Internet explorer, to seem faster; it also provides the desktop display before all services needed are running, which you might or might not notice
--it will also monitor system activity to determine patterns of application use, and load those applications and pre-load application + OS parts needed for a quicker application start into system memory (RAM)
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=36015&p=207742&hilit=speedup+boot#p207742

For OpenOffice, increase the memory available to the application, settings in Openoffice (Memory), eg change from default of 64MB to 128MB, it will load faster
--if you don't want to use the windows trick of pre-loading parts of an application so it seems to start faster, but slows overall startup sequence..
--or if you don't let the system determine your application/usage patterns and let it automatically adjust for most used applications load quicker.
http://www.howtoforge.com/speed-up-your ... buntu-9.04

Next release (Helena (mint 8) vs Gloria (Mint 7))
    Based from Ubuntu (jaunty (9.04) Karmic koala (9.10)
http://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/ ... matically/

Or without using any tricks
Simply leave applications running in another workplace, available when you start the machine
    Of course like the other methods, this slows the startup of the machine, but the application is running and available, when needed

It used to be that you could depend on Linux to be ready when it indicated it was ready, eg desktop appears; however it seems some Linux distributions are adopting some windows tricks in appearing to run quicker, but that is only a trick
--measuring it will confirm or deny it as a fact: no-one (users) ever do that..
DrHu
Level 16
Level 16

Postby lagagnon on Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:14 pm

After you've booted and loaded both Firefox and OpenOffice please open a terminal, type the following commands and post the output to this thread so we can check you system status:

df -h
free
ps aux
lagagnon
Level 7
Level 7

Return to Newbie Questions