COMPUTER SYSTEM INFO SPECS ON LINUX MINT?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

COMPUTER SYSTEM INFO SPECS ON LINUX MINT?

Postby driftboyz on Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:06 pm

Where do I go to check the specs , hard drive space, memory, on my computers like windows xp you go to control panel then system it show all specs info, I just cant find it on linux mint.
driftboyz
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: COMPUTER SYSTEM INFO SPECS ON LINUX MINT?

Postby XidCat on Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:10 pm

Default is Menu>Favorites>System Monitor (bottom right corner of favorites)
"Contrariwise", continued Tweedledee, "if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic."

Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass, Chapter 4
XidCat
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Silent Warrior on Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:52 pm

Hm, I think what the OP wanted was something like lshw-gui (or, on second read, maybe not).
Anyway, if you open the terminal and enter 'sudo apt-get install lshw-gui' I think you'll get a more complete picture. (Once you run the app, at least.) You'll need to try something else to see how full your partitions are - though partition managers work for that end, the chance for a regrettable incident is... not my cup o' tea. I also see something in my mintMenu called Device Manager. Pick yer poison!
Silent Warrior
Level 4
Level 4

Postby garda on Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:59 pm

System Monitor gives you available RAM and disk space, but for a detailed system information you have to install either HardInfo or HAL Device Manager. Both can be found in Synaptic (Package Manager). A shortcut to the former will be available in Control Center as System Profiler and Benchmark and the latter also in Control Center as Device Manager.

Most of the times, I prefer their command-line counterparts: lspci, lsusb, and lshw.
garda
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Newbie Questions