Canon WiFi printing

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Canon WiFi printing

Postby Mike D on Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:39 pm

Does Linux Mint have the ability to print to a WiFi-enabled printer? I have a Canon MX860 which I currently print to wirelessly from my Windows machine. I prefer using my Mint Laptop (Dell XPS M1530) for most things, however. I have not tried to hook it up to the laptop via USB yet, but ultimately I want to be able to get to the printer wirelessly. I am learning about Linux by using Mint and other distros - I am no Linux guru just yet..
Mike D
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Canon WiFi printing

Postby altair4 on Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:52 pm

I don't see why not. You might want to look at this: Network Printing: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=28397

It was written with the idea of a printer attached to another box but the procedure should be the same for a printer attached directly to the lan. From the Mint box open a terminal and type: smbtree. It should show you all the network resources on your lan and the printer should be one of them.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
altair4
Level 15
Level 15

Return to Newbie Questions