Can not open software manager, package manager, mintinstalll

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hansmc

Can not open software manager, package manager, mintinstalll

Post by hansmc »

When ever I try to open "software manager", "package manager", "mintupdate", or "mintinstall", I get a box that says:

Code: Select all

"Could not grab your mouse.

A malicious client may be eaves dropping on your session or you may have just clicked a menu or some application just decided to get focus.

try again.

close"
And they will not open up. I push close and nothing happens. What could be the problem? Please help?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
metroid_maniac

Re: Can not open software manager, package manager, mintinstalll

Post by metroid_maniac »

Open a terminal and type mintinstall.
hansmc

Post by hansmc »

metroid_maniac wrote:Open a terminal and type mintinstall.
Thanks that works. I also found if click fast for about 6 times on one of the apps that will work. Now I have another problem, after opening a program the menu will not go away until I click out side of it some were. Have a good day.
hansmc

Post by hansmc »

Sonic-Boom wrote:I had the same problem, its mintmenu which is the cause because it doesnt disappear it triggers the "couldnt grab mouse" warning when you click on an application which requires authorisation, you need to reinstall mint menu.
To remove you need to click on mintmenu in the panel, remove, then type a command in the terminal to clear/refresh and then readd it via right click to the panel. Only problem is I've forgotten the terminal command, I'll try searching for it or maybe someone here can help.

Alternatively you could always reinstall it via synaptic(package manager). I havent tried it this way but it should probably work.

someone found another solution here:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... ar#p209849
bottom of the thread, using gconf to unclear the pin menu checkbox. Might be better to check this box is cleared first; sounds like the simplest option.
I did it with the synaptic package manager. I opened and searched for mintmenu, and then chose "Mark for Reinstallation". Then Mint Software manager opened fine. Hopefully it will keep working. Thanks for your help.
dannyc

Post by dannyc »

i had the same problem as the OP .
in synaptic i marked for re-installation .
then with the "+add to panel" option on the task bar , re-placed mintmenu .
still ... the same problem .
it wasn't until i dragged and dropped from the "+add to panel" menu to the task bar that it all worked as it should .
thank you to all for your help .
dannyc
hansmc

Post by hansmc »

My original problem come back a few weeks latter and would not go away for anything, so I uninstalled it for good and just use the gnome menu.

Return to “Beginner Questions”