srm, sfill and stuff like that

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
goldstar1
Level 2
Level 2

srm, sfill and stuff like that

Post by goldstar1 »

So I'm trying everything in Linux and I have some questions about sfill. It is part of the srm tool kit.

sfill rewrites all the areas that are not being used on a hard drive and places zeros in those areas so that whatever was previously written in that area could not be accessed by anything :D ....So I tried it :? ...The next day the program was still running :shock:

I looked for documentation and all I could find was 1.) it doesn't have any bugs and never did 2.) instructions on how to get it started 3.) lastly...what it does.

but what is it doing for stupid people like myself...

1.) Is it supposed to be running for 24 or so hours? I have about 143gig of free space.
2.) Will it stop by itself after all the free space is cleared?
3.) I thought you couldn't clean a journalized ext4 file system, but we have 'srm' and 'wipe' and even Husse himself shows how to install 'wipe' on our Nautilus file manager.
4.) I'm confused...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lagagnon

Re: srm, sfill and stuff like that

Post by lagagnon »

Yup, wipe and fill programs can take many many hours to wipe and/or fill large drives. It won't just look at the 143G, it will probably have to check your entire partition. And if it does it bit by bit rather than in large blocks (which I suspect is its default) then yes, it might even take days!
goldstar1
Level 2
Level 2

Re: srm, sfill and stuff like that

Post by goldstar1 »

Thank You for your response... :|

Return to “Beginner Questions”