some things broken after reboot

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
spankmeister7

some things broken after reboot

Post by spankmeister7 »

This is odd. After a fresh install of Linux Mint 8.0 and transferring all of my old data to the new system everything worked perfectly all day. Tonight when I turned on my computer (a Dell XPS laptop) eth0 wouldn't start by itself and neither would X. Now I just get a text login and I have to start X manually. I also have to run dhclient to get an IP address. Strangely, in the network manager there is no entry for eth0, even though ifconfig reports one. I had already installed all the available updates.

Has anyone else noticed this? What can I do to fix these things? All I can add is that this all happened simultaneously.

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: some things broken after reboot

Post by Husse »

I honestly don't know what to answer - this indicates some major breakdown....
Please fill in with as much detail as possible - please read these simple rules
Intio

Re: some things broken after reboot

Post by Intio »

Did you do a checksum on the ISO? It's a long shot, but the only time this happened to me (On a Mandriva disc, not Mint) was the time I failed to check the ISO. I burned a new disc witha freshly downloaded ISO and everything went fine after that.

Return to “Beginner Questions”