Mint7 vs MintW8: just reporting

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
capricornus
Level 2
Level 2

Mint7 vs MintW8: just reporting

Post by capricornus »

I just decided to give Mint8 another chance. Trying to avoid GRUBby annoyances, I tried to install it on a usb-disk. All went fine until it found out on which partition Mint7 was to be found, it wanted that partition unmounted, so I did, and then it screwed with files on that partition. And one second later, the installation froze. I retried for 4 times, and every time the same things happened. I decided to quit and W8.
I restarted without the usb-disk, tried to boot with Mint7, and whoops, nothing happened, necessary files where removed so it said. O funny !!! The best and most stable OS I ever enjoyed was gone.
:-( imagine how I felt that afternoon ;-(
Mint8: an F for starters.

The next weekend - because I was really pi**off for a few days, I decided to first install Mint8 and thén Mint7 again, after having repartitioned the on board SATA-disk. Everything went well, and I could undo the GRUBby 1.97 RC2 or whatever the unfinished job is called.
First things first: Mint8: NVIDIA drivers (v. 185.18.36) were installed, and I tried to define dual wide screen setting in root: no, "failed to parse existing file /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
Next: Mint7: NVIDIA drivers (v.180.44) were installed, and in root, everything went fine, I was able to save the setting, and so it remains every time I boot.
Explanation?
Today, I tried again, in order to complete the exact same installation in both OS'es. The NVIDIA-thing happened again. :-(

Next, I have a Powerline LAN, with a Synology NAS, and a older Brother-1430 connected to the NAS by usb.
Under Mint7, both work flawlessly and swift.
Under Mint8, I was unpleasantly surprised by the slow response in addressing both devices, and the time it took to print a test page. Unbelievable: a fast booter but a slow printer?

Next, in Mint8, I used Synaptic to install classic stuff: Filezilla, VLC, streamtuner, streamripper. And without any known cause, Synaptic CRASHED. believe me, as a tester of everything DistroWatch offers, I have NEVER seen Synaptic crashing.

I've had enough for one day, and I just report these things. Clem knows how to handle information. For another admin: this is NOT badmouthing :-(

I will continue to enormously enjoy Mint7 as a perfect and stable work-horse, and Mint8, I will further test it, but it is - for the moment - no candidate to replace Mint7 on the other pc's in this house, and I will not, never and nowhere advocate Mint8 for now: it remains MintW8, Mint-Waite.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deleted

Re: Mint7 vs MintW8: just reporting

Post by deleted »

Interesting...
I haven't run into any of your problems that seem to be core Ubuntu rather than Mint 8.
I've been running Karmic (since alpha2) with Mint Tools from Mint 7.
-H
nukm

Re: Mint7 vs MintW8: just reporting

Post by nukm »

@capricornus -

Great report. I feel much better now after the smoke I got when I hit the wrong key whilst installing ARCH at 3 AM this morning. I didn't really need that partition anyway!

The bi-annual release schedule is insane. And, one notes, Mint is "core Ubuntu". Lenny, by the way, just sits there and hums - doing its thing quite peaceably.

So, when the flak comes - remember I have thanked you for your report. I also note that Ubuntu latest has a somewhat schizoid success - some say "great" while others declare it "broken". No unanimity there.

Return to “Beginner Questions”