[solved] How to change boot background image after grub

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
aharown07

[solved] How to change boot background image after grub

Post by aharown07 »

I've changed my grub background image and have also changed the logon screen background. But between grub and logon, and also between logon and my own wallpaper, there's another backgroundimage that is appearing (the default).
Can anyone tell me where that lives so I can change it? The image is just a bit too busy for me.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: How to change boot background image- after grub

Post by richyrich »

Are you talking about Mint 5, 6 ,7 or 8 ? . . . c'mon, throw us a bone . Image . Read This Image

If it's the new xsplash in Mint 8, take a gander at this, it may help . . :) . . http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 44&start=0

richy
aharown07

Re: How to change boot background image- after grub

Post by aharown07 »

Oops. Sorry about that. Mint 8.
Discovered that this is the xsplash image ... you can open /usr/share/images/xsplash as root then replace the images there.
So the sequence of what appears on the screen is apparently something like this...
1. grub background image
2. xsplash background image
3. logon theme ("gdm"?) background image
4. xsplash background image again (at least on my system) briefly
5. gnome desktop theme wallpaper

(For those wanting to theme the whole thing a little, I read somewhere also that you can change the gdm background like this

Code: Select all

gksudo -u gdm dbus-launch gnome-appearance-properties
That worked for me.

And for testing your xsplash background,

Code: Select all

sudo xsplash
.... xsplash screen will appear for a bit then time out on its own and return to desktop

Return to “Beginner Questions”