Just installed Casandra, two problems

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Christof999
Level 3
Level 3

Just installed Casandra, two problems

Post by Christof999 »

Hello,

I just installed Cassandra, and although it looks really nice, Ive encountered two problems thus far...

one, is that when I activate beryl, It works fine except all my windows bars at the top (the blue boarder and little close, minimize and maximize) disappear and don't come back until I turn Beryl off.

The second is that no matter what I install, I can't seem to see my other shared hard drives. The other computers are running Cassandra. All have Samba and NFS common installed and all the disks are shared through both NFS and Samba.

I gotta be honest this networking problem is a bit of a showstopper for me, considering PCLinuxOS not only detected, but mounted my disks locally. Is there anyway around these two problems ?

Thanks
C.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
NoClue!
Level 3
Level 3

Post by NoClue! »

I noticed that with beryl also. I played around with it for awhile and said WOW! Showed it to the rest of the family, they all said WOW! Shut it down and went back to normal. I built a new 2core box with a hoopty graphics card to see that...................yeah I'm a fool.
rootkowski
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rootkowski »

HI there!

I don't think I can help you with network problems but maybe at least with Beryl.

make sure in the beryl manager you choose Window Manager>Beryl and Window Decorator>Emerald. Then check your /etc/x11/xorg.conf. I once had some issues with Beryl and adding this:

Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"

fixed it (you can read about it on http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Feis ... 8Nvidia.29 - I assumed you have nvidia gpu, if you don't there are guides for ATI there as well). I also noticed to my surprise that it doesn't matter if you add the line to Section "Device" or "Screen". At least on my system.

I hoped it helped you some. :) Good luck!

Return to “Beginner Questions”