Search NTFS

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
opticyclic

Search NTFS

Post by opticyclic »

I automount my NTFS drives on boot and have no problem browsing them.
However, when I try to use Search from Nautilus nothing is returned.
I should note that the search works on my ext4 drive.

Is there any way to enable Search from within Nautilus?

To workaround it I have to install Agent Ransack under wine
http://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Search NTFS

Post by altair4 »

I can't reproduce your problem on my system but you might want to post your line in fstab that defines the mount just in case there's anythig "funny" about it.
Is there any way to enable Search from within Nautilus?
You could try something like this which is more workaround / perhaps enhancement? :wink:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... pt#p157068
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
garda

Post by garda »

Which search function are you referring to?

Nautilus has two search functions: one as an integral part of the file manager, and another one as a panel applet (a.k.a. gnome-search-tool). The former has several known long-standing bugs which are yet to be resolved. One of them is it shows zero result for searches involving a wildcard (the asterisk) in the query. So avoid using wildcards there.

If it's the latter you're having problem with, try this:
1. Press ALT-F2.
2. Enter gconf-editor.
3. Go to /apps/gnome-search-tool/.
4 Turn on disable_quick_search and disable_quick_search_second_scan.
opticyclic

Post by opticyclic »

Thats a good workaround!
Useful scripts like that should be included with Mint by default!

As a side note, your script doesn't work anymore as the allmounts is no longer an option.
You also seem to be using the wrong script variable.
This seems to work better

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
exec gnome-search-tool --hidden --path=$NAUTILUS_SCRIPT_SELECTED_FILE_PATHS --contains=
Edit: Just saw the gconf post. That works too. Again, any reason why these features aren't set by default?
garda

Post by garda »

opticyclic wrote:Edit: Just saw the gconf post. That works too. Again, any reason why these features aren't set by default?
Beats me... That fact baffled me as well. Only the devs know the answer.
opticyclic

Post by opticyclic »

Created a thread in the Suggestions forum to see if the devs answer :wink: .
Continue any discussion there
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=37447
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Thanks for the kind words even though it doesn't work :lol:
This was my original script:
#!/bin/sh
cd "$(echo $NAUTILUS_SCRIPT_SELECTED_FILE_PATHS)"
exec gnome-search-tool --hidden --allmounts --contains=
I tried it on my system and it does so work. Then I did a man gnome-search-tool and there is so an allmounts option.
Then I made the mistake of moving from my Mint7 install to my Mint8 install. Guess what?
My
script doesn't work anymore as the allmounts is no longer an option.
Once I fixed that it kept ignoring my cd command. It appears as though
I am
using the wrong script variable.
I used your method and it has the same problem I had when I wrote the first attempt of my script. It can't handle spaces in the directory name. It defaults to the next higher level in the directory tree. If I modify yours to look like this:
exec gnome-search-tool --hidden --path="$(echo NAUTILUS_SCRIPT_SELECTED_FILE_PATHS)" --contains=
it works. Sometimes I really need to search My Documents on my Windows partition :wink:

Why "$(echo NAUTILUS_SCRIPT_SELECTED_FILE_PATHS)" works in path= and not in cd is something I'll have to investigate. Thanks for alerting me of my mistake.

It's kind of late here so you might want to verify if your method can handle spaces in the folder name and whether my alteration fixes it.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
opticyclic

Post by opticyclic »

Good fix!
Tested and using echo works with spaces.

Return to “Beginner Questions”