I cannot write anything in my external hard drive

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

I cannot write anything in my external hard drive

Postby gvm12 on Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:17 am

I have an external usb hard drive that I use to back my files, but a couple of days ago when I tried to back up a movie, I wasn't able to write it in this external hard drive. In the permissions menu, I see that the owner is the root and the permissions to others is set up to access files only and not to read and write. I never changed this and I never used the root account to change these permissions. What happened here and what can I do to be able to write in it? I really need to be able to back up my files. Any help is greatly appreciated.
gvm12
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby OU812 on Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:17 am

Hello. First, I think we need to know what type of file system it has - ntfs, vfat, or maybe even a linux file format. If you are not sure, look at the file /etc/fstab. In the event that it is an ntfs format, you can use system tools>ntfs configuration tool to set up the drives for rw support. Good luck.

john
OU812
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Lensman on Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:39 pm

Try Alt-F2 and then type gksu nautilus. Navigate to your 'Media' file and you should find and be able to write to your drive. Worth a shot, anyway.
Lensman
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:22 pm

gksu nautilus

NO NO! Don't use the gui as root! You may end up with a destroyed system.
I think this is ntfs or fat and the partition is mentioned in fstab.
Back up your fstab sudo cp /etc/fstab /etc/fstab.bak
Edit your fstab sudo gedit /etc/fstab
If the offending partition is ntfs or fat - remove it completely.
If the partiton is in a Linux fileformat add user to the fourth section of its line in fstab. Section divider is space, the fourth section may be divided by commas. Something like this:
Code: Select all
/dev/sda4 /media/sda4     ext3    defaults,user        0       2

Be absolutely certain you've done it to the right disk!
Check man fstab in a terminal for more details
Reboot with the usb disk connected.
It may even help just to reboot with it connected - something happens sometimes when you connect it....
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Newbie Questions