xfishtank / atlantis setup

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Mr Mojito

xfishtank / atlantis setup

Post by Mr Mojito »

Hey there,

I have LM 8 and I'm trying to get the "cube aquarium" to work, but nothing seems to happen.

used Synaptic package manager to get xfishtank and atlantis plugins,
restarted the computer
went into compiz settings and I can't find it anywhere. anyone know how to get it to work?

thanks very much
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rich_roast

Re: xfishtank / atlantis setup

Post by rich_roast »

As far as I can tell you just set the transparent cube in compiz-settings and then launch xfishtank. You could set xfishtank to start when you log in in "startup applications" (preferences menu). Not sure about that atlantis thing - all I could find to download was extra gl screensavers; I'm assuming it's a screensaver therefore until told otherwise. Cheers.
Mr Mojito

Post by Mr Mojito »

rich_roast wrote:As far as I can tell you just set the transparent cube in compiz-settings and then launch xfishtank. You could set xfishtank to start when you log in in "startup applications" (preferences menu). Not sure about that atlantis thing - all I could find to download was extra gl screensavers; I'm assuming it's a screensaver therefore until told otherwise. Cheers.
how do you launch it? it doesn't seem to be on my comp even though I installed it. anyone know the code?

EDIT---

I launched it but it's just the cruddy 2d version that just takes over my wallpaper. anyone know how to make it 3D? aka inside my compiz cube
rich_roast

Post by rich_roast »

I researched this a bit and am now fed up (as the OP might be) being given the run around; as far as my cursory analysis can make out that plugin, atlantis, was a beryl plugin and is not offered as a Compiz or Compiz-Fusion package any more since the reunification of the two projects. I got as far as here - the wiki entry is tantalising but I was unable to find a way of actually obtaining the plugin either as a package or as source to be compiled with the assistance of compiz-fusion-bcop. Perhaps the OP will have more luck.
Mr Mojito

Post by Mr Mojito »

rich_roast wrote:I researched this a bit and am now fed up (as the OP might be) being given the run around; as far as my cursory analysis can make out that plugin, atlantis, was a beryl plugin and is not offered as a Compiz or Compiz-Fusion package any more since the reunification of the two projects. I got as far as here - the wiki entry is tantalising but I was unable to find a way of actually obtaining the plugin either as a package or as source to be compiled with the assistance of compiz-fusion-bcop. Perhaps the OP will have more luck.
yeah it sucks don't it... thanks for trying...

Return to “Beginner Questions”