Can't install Skype in Software Manager

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Can't install Skype in Software Manager

Post by remoulder »

Thor_R wrote:I have been trying to install Skype several times thorugh the Software Manager with no luck
Thor, skype needs the Medibuntu repository to be enabled, I'm not sure it is by default. You can check this by opening Software Sources from Mint Menu > Administration then going to the Other Software tab and making sure there is a tick against Medibuntu. When you exit software sources it should reload the software information which may give you new updates if you didn't have Medibuntu enabled, so you may want to ignore any immediate upgrade notifications. In this case just disable Medibuntu again after installing skype. After this, try installing skype again via Software Manager, but if this doesn't work, you can also install via the Synaptic Package Manager (which looks a little like Software Manager), find skype in the list, then click on the box and choose Mark for Installation from the pop-up menu, then click Apply on the toolbar. If you get any pop-ups saying other files will be installed, simply click OK. HTH
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

Thor_R wrote:I have also tried to search for Skype in the Synaptic Package Manager but I can't seem to find it
Did you tried hitting the Reload button on the toolbar before searching? Also were you doing a quick search, if so try the search toolbar button? It sounds like something else is going on here though, what other repositories do you enabled?
Thor_R wrote:Is it possible that Skype is somehow already installed but just does not appear anywhere in the Mint Menu?
It's possible but it should still show up in Synaptic only with a filled green box to show it's installed. You could try running the menu editor, if skype is installed it would be under Internet but the view box would be unticked.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
Ion Silverbolt

Post by Ion Silverbolt »

Skype was removed from the medibuntu repo because of some incompatability issue. You'll have to download it manually from the skype site. More info: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... ight=skype
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

Ion Silverbolt wrote:Skype was removed from the medibuntu repo because of some incompatability issue. You'll have to download it manually from the skype site. More info: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... ight=skype
Thanks for that, wasn't aware it'd been pulled from the repo, however you can still get the .debs by going to the url's (these for LM8, for LM7 replace karmic with jaunty) directly. You need both packages

http://packages.medibuntu.org/karmic/skype.html and http://packages.medibuntu.org/karmic/skype-common.html

Return to “Beginner Questions”