Mint 8: Installation-problem on Gateway Laptop w/ Win7

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DeviantART

Mint 8: Installation-problem on Gateway Laptop w/ Win7

Post by DeviantART »

Computer Specs:
Brand: Gatway Laptop Nv5435u

My problem is getting Linux Mint 8 to boot from the Install-CD (Boot-Disk/ISO), which was burned specifically so I could put the CD into my new computer & wipe-out the pre-installed Windows 7, which I never intended to use on that computer.

Here's the steps I took & the what I encountered as I tried to install Linux Mint 8 from the Install-CD:

I hit F11 until a screen appears that says the following:

"Edit Boot Options

Edit Windows boot options for: Windows 7

Path: n\Windows\system32\winload.exe

Partition: 3
Hard Disk: 9d309d3

[ /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN

ENTER=Submit ESC=Cancel"

How can I get that computer to recognize the Linux Mint 8 CD? I haven't set-up an account on that computer, since I'm trying to avoid using Windows 7, as much as possible. I just want to use Linux Mint 8 on that computer. :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Mint 8: Installation-problem on Gateway Laptop w/ Win7

Post by Husse »

Welcome to Mint
You have to find the Boot from CD option and I can't tell you how as that is widely varying in laptops
It should be found in the BIOS but my wifes old laptop had a special menu to select boot alternative
-------
I don not think your user name is appropriate unless you are standing behind Deviantart
It is improper to use the name of other peoples/organizations
mick55

Re: Mint 8: Installation-problem on Gateway Laptop w/ Win7

Post by mick55 »

Let the CD boot and stop hitting F11 for no apparent reason. :roll:

Return to “Beginner Questions”