Mint (Gloria) Xfce VS Xubuntu

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cebosound

Mint (Gloria) Xfce VS Xubuntu

Post by cebosound »

Hey Guys, I recently installed Xubuntu on one of my laptops and i also installed Mint Gloria XFCE on another laptop. Both have similar memory etc.; both have 256 ram,and 40G hard drive,... but plan to upgrade about another Gig of Ram on each soon. So the BIG Question....(atleast for me)..... Which one do you like and more importantly, what key differences do you see between the two.

I have been playing with Xubuntu for about a week and i only installed Linux Mint Gloria XFCE today. So far i have a good idea of which one i like better so far, but i will hold on to that until i use Mint for a little bit longer. But I would love to hear what you guys think.

Thanks! :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vrkalak

Re: Mint (Gloria) Xfce VS Xubuntu

Post by vrkalak »

I have been using: (1) Debian 'testing' with an Xfce desktop and (2) Xubuntu 9.10 and testing the developers edition of (3) Xubuntu 10.04 Alpha 1 on separate partitions, of my home PC.

You could say, I'm an Xfce junkie. :P

I like Xubuntu 9.10. I've had no problems with it.
The testing version of Xubuntu 10.04 Alpha1 is in too early a stage of development, as of yet, to really tell.
Not much has changed physically or visually on the desktop yet.

I really like LinuxMint-7 Xfce CE . . . faster than Xubuntu and a bit more tweaked than Xubuntu.
I would recommend this version (Gloria) of Mint until Mint-8 Xfce CE is released.

I am, also, running on my work PC -- LinuxMint-8 with the Xfce Meta-package added over the Gnome base.
No problem installing Xfce from the Mint repros. Just select Xfce session at log-in.
I can imagine how fast and pretty Helena-8 Xfce CE will be once it's released.
:mrgreen:
cebosound

Post by cebosound »

@vrkalak, Glad to hear you are testing the varations of the two. Both Xubuntu 9.10 Karmin Koala and Mint Xfce Gloria seem like great operating systems from the little i have got a chance to play with them and from what i read. Especially for a laptop that is 5-6 years old; like the 2 laptops i have those programs running on.

So far I feel that Linux Mint Xfce GLoria has been a little more intuitive. And probably from being a Windows user for my entire life, Mint just comes a little more natural. Overall I am enjoying both more and more and it seems with everyday I get a little closer to using my 5 month old Sony Vaio with a Lunix "flavor". :D . Can't wait for my new Ram to come in the mail so i can make my 2 older "linux test" laptops run better than the 256m they have in them.

I would like to continue to hear people's thoughts on this topic. Mainly Xubuntu 9.10 VS Linux Mint (Gloria) Xfce. :)
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

My old Gateway only has 195 Mb of RAM.
Both Xubuntu and Mint-7 are too heavy to load and/or install.

For an older laptop I would recommend another Linux 'small' light-weight distro.
On this laptop, I have installed PuppyLinux 4.1.3 as it has the Xfce desktop.
Very, very fast, even with little memory.
cebosound

Post by cebosound »

Yesterday, I rescued my dad's 5year old Dell PC. Dimension 9150 that was tucked away in a closet at his house full of viruses from windows. DBAN then Linux Mint GLoria xfce. It is a whole new computer and is much faster than the 2 laptops i was testing linux on. This PC has 512Mib of ram and 80Gib in the harddrive. I checked and it looks like it has 4 slots for up to 1Gib of ram per slot. This thing is already moving pretty good with this software and i am going to add 3 GiBs to the 512 already in it... I can only imagine.

Return to “Beginner Questions”