Mouse cursors do not change to selected theme

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Vusa

Re: Mouse cursors do not change to selected theme

Post by Vusa »

Have found this same issue as well. The main mouse pointer does not change, yet the others like busy or select, or resize window do change.

Is there anyway of changing the main white pointer...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Beerislife

Post by Beerislife »

I had that problem in Mint 9 but never solved it or looked for the answer and in Mint 10 had problems with my left-handed mouse pointer becoming right-handed in QT apps. That was fixed after a bit of Googling with the command:

sudo update-alternatives --config x-cursor-theme

and choosing my cursor set from there. No guarantee it will help :)
badbodh
Level 2
Level 2

Post by badbodh »

its probably compiz overriding the cursor settings. i had selected dmz-black ,yet it showed white one.
i just changed 'visual-effects' to 'none' in gnome-appearance-properties and cursors were back to normal.

my suggestion would be to disable visual-effects, choose your cursor, then re-enable the effects , whenever you wish to change your cursor.

PS: i am using isadora 32bit. let me know if above works on other versions too. \m/

EDIT:
first enter the update-alternatives command as given by beerislife. then do as i've written above to refresh the cursors. it should work now.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux proves it.

Return to “Beginner Questions”