[invalid] Display Garbled when GDM loads

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

[invalid] Display Garbled when GDM loads

Post by grimdestripador »

Was doing an install on a friends Dell P4. Each time I booted from the live cd, the boot sequence would proceed as normal then at about the time the GDM would load , right before desktop icons appear, the display turns statically garbled. Meaning that every bunch of 10 or so pixles are scrambled in their interpolated order. BIOS settings had the onboard video originally set to 1MB, I then increased it to its max at 8MB. This did not fix anything. For a similar picture found on the internet I found, http://forum.team-mediaportal.com/attac ... verror.png from the site http://forum.team-mediaportal.com/gener ... dio-68513/

I then boot with the on board video set to 8MB, and wait for the login sound. I press CTRL-ALT-Backspace then I am returned to the GDM login screen, and the screen is back to normal. I then type mint as username, with no password, and upon pressing login, it goes back to being garbled. At this point I am assured it is the onboard video. I boot into compatibility mode, all is fine. I boot into oem install mode, and first boot from hard drive does the same garbled thing.

I finally plugged an AGP nvidia FX5200, and all is well.

This a bug report for Dell onboard video being garbled.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Display Garbled when GDM loads

Post by Husse »

BIOS settings had the onboard video originally set to 1MB, I then increased it to its max at 8MB.
Must be a really antiquated machine - 8 MB should be enough for 2D but not much more
I'd say this is trying to install on a computer that does not reach up to the minimum specs

Return to “Beginner Questions”