Adding Icons in Launcher other than svg

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
farna

Adding Icons in Launcher other than svg

Post by farna »

I finally found the file that launcher icons come from.... scalable icons. So how do I use an icon that isn't in that folder? Can I just copy an icon, say one that ends in .png, to that folder to use it? I searched, but searching for some common terms (like "icons") doesn't work well!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Adding Icons in Launcher other than svg

Post by remoulder »

If you are just trying to change the icon for a particular file or folder, just select Properties from the right click menu on that file or folder, then click the icon top left which opens to allow you to choose a custom icon. If this doesn't help can you be a bit more specific about what you are trying to do?
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
farna

Post by farna »

I installed Alien Arena directly into a directory. I was using Launcher to create a shortcut. What I was trying to do was change the icon while making the shortcut. The icon is a .ng file in the AA directory. I might try creating the shortcut then try changing the icon after it is already on the desktop using properties. Thanks for the tip!
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

You're welcome :!:

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 900i »

You can also drag and drop the icon from the folder it is in to the icon button in the properties dialog.
Desktop Core i7 Linux Mint 21.1 / Laptop Dell Precision M6400 Linux Mint 21.1
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

900i wrote:You can also drag and drop the icon from the folder it is in to the icon button in the properties dialog.
Thanks, good tip.

Return to “Beginner Questions”