LM8 64bit mouse and keyboard freezing(Solved)

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gazza

LM8 64bit mouse and keyboard freezing(Solved)

Post by gazza »

G'day I have a asus P7P55D mb i5-750 cpu. Installed LM8 64bit. The generic kernel would not allow me to use a 3g usb broadband, so had to install my own kernel. I tried two so far, both have the same bug (never happened whilst using the generic kernel, but didn't use it long).
I downloaded the ppa 2.6.32-020632-generic_2.6.32-020632_amd64.deb , but the headers would Not install, so using the same config from it, compiled and installed kernel2.6.32.1.

The mouse and keyboard freeze randomly (in both kernels), At the login window, whilst in nautilus browsing, whilst using synaptic, nothing to do with individual apps. Note, several times the mouse jittered and pasted new folders on the desktop. Several times mouse was near an entry box, and flooded the box with a single character, 7 in one case, h in another. The only way to get out of the freeze is to power off.

I do note, any app running is still functioning, xchat whatever. You just can't type or move the mouse. Nothing at all is on the tail of /var/log/messages (last thing there was the 3g mount). No glaring cpu usage , nothing in top to indicate anything of real note, but have seen that xorg is always near the top when it's happening, though no extra cpu or ram used.

this happens with or without my Nvidia 190 driver installed , with or without full upgrades installed as of Dec 19th. It can happen 30 seconds into a session, and the longest I've had is 2hrs 4mins , that was with full upgrade and Nvidia installed.

Done some reading on the ubuntu forums, and so far found some wifi cards causes this issue, I don't have one, so it can't be that. (my card is sitting in the draw waiting till I sort this issue out as it causes problems in my main OS mint 7 32bit).

Any ideas?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: LM8 64bit mouse and keyboard freezing

Post by Husse »

No ideas - what about dmesg | tail ?
This is not the standard Mint
I'll see if I can find a solution or a suggestion at least and come back to you
gazza

Post by gazza »

wish I could be more helpfull,

[ 23.391044] kjournald starting. Commit interval 5 seconds
[ 23.391530] EXT3 FS on sda9, internal journal
[ 23.391537] EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with writeback data mode.

That is the last entry, Not helpful at all. I copied that from my /var/log/dmesg , my last effort lasted 1hr 30min , as I wrote before, when the mouse and keyboard freeze, the desktop continues to work ie, processes that are running such as xchat, continue to run.

/var/log/debug last entry 5 min before the crash
Dec 21 16:00:33 gazza64-desktop NetworkManager: <debug> [1261371633.001112] ensure_killed(): ppp pid 23331 cleaned up

/var/log/messages
Dec 21 16:00:32 gazza64-desktop pppd[23331]: Exit.
Dec 21 16:06:07 gazza64-desktop kernel: Kernel logging (proc) stopped.

I hit the power button on the tower and it does a proper shut down, so at least there I am in luck , lol.

Just a Note, today I wiped the install, made a fresh install, used my pre-compiled 2.6.32.1 kernel, didn't install my nvidia driver.

The last session was an hour and half before it crashed. was trying to compile the 2.6.33rc1 kernel, but gave up , it has an error version bug in it. was looking at my file system this time when it happend....

Just to be very clear, I've not yet had any crash while typing, only when moving the mouse, I don't even have to be clicking it. So at least I can compile kernels till the cows come home, Just "Don't touch the mouse" , lol.
Husse

Post by Husse »

I just answered anothe topic by you - they happened to be in the tabs next to each other
Instead of pushing the power button try this
gazza

Post by gazza »

Thanks for the tip , never knew that.

So I booted LM8 64bit , and not even 10seconds into the session the mouse froze again. Tried the key combination, nothing happened. Thought I was doing it wrong, so powered down with the power button, booted back in, and tried it without a mouse freeze. Worked like a charm. Looks as if the keyboard it totally out of the loop when this freeze happens :(

Well at least knowing the keyboard is not recognised at all is a step towards debugging this issue. :?
gazza

Post by gazza »

Tentative Solved,

Been up 6hrs 17mins now and not a freeze. It is a PS/2 mouse , so as a test (before I installed yet another kernel, older one this time), I took that mouse out and put in a usb mouse. And have been playing mouse intesive games (not a games person really, but had to do something to test this thing).

The keyboard is also PS/2 , but haven't touched it.

I just then, installed my nvidia drivers manually and gdm start instead of reboot. And she is still going. will edit this post in the future to say what happened.

Crossing my fingers, toes and anything else I can :D
Husse

Post by Husse »

The mouse could be on the brink of a (nervous?) breakdown :)
gazza

Post by gazza »

Don't think so, As during the time of frustration, I'd go back to stable M7 32bit and be there hours on end, never once in M7 did it ever freeze in 6months.

Still rugged testing to make sure this is the issue, 9hrs yesterday and no freeze.

Today, 3 1/2hrs and writting in IRC, keyboard froze (That's a first), the mouse however was still working. As the keyboard is PS/2 , it is very likely this is a PS/2 bug. I've 8 PS/2 keyboards laying around, not one usb, have to wait until after New Year before I can get one..

14hrs and not a single freeze, did a lot of typing too...

up 6 1/2hrs today, I'm fairly confident now it was a PS/2 bug as since I've put a usb mouse in, I've not had a mouse freeze. :D

Return to “Beginner Questions”