Lost application names in "Taskbar"

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Lost application names in "Taskbar"

Postby Matteran on Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:47 am

I'm not sure the Linux name for the "Taskbar" but when I minimize applications, I can't click on their name to restore it. Even when they are restored, I can't see the names of open applications to switch between.

I think something happened with GNOME when I was just messing around with different icon themes and emerald themes.

Oh, and while I'm at it, my screen resolution keeps getting defaulted to 1024x768, and I have to go into nvidia-settings to change it to 1152x864 (i know, weird res, but it's an old CRT and that's the best res I can get). The weird thing is, it worked fine in a previous install of the same version of Mint and everything. I needed to format, and now somethings are acting differently.

Thanks!
Matteran
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby the_necrocide on Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:19 am

For the application tray you can do the following:

Right click on the panel where you want the windows to appear -> add to panel -> Part: Desktop & Windows -> add windowlist
They should be back on your GNOME panel now.
If you want to switch or browse trough open windows trough a menu add (in the same way as described above) a Windowselection menu.
I hope the English terms are the same, because I had to translate from the Dutch which i use.

Good luck!

[EDIT]For the nvidia problem I think its best for you to open a new topic in the hardware support section.
the_necrocide
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Matteran on Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:28 am

thanks a lot, I figured it was something simple like that.
Matteran
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Newbie Questions