Sound related

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Sound related

Postby rootkowski on Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:18 am

I have been wondering for a while now if it's possible to play sound from more than one app at a time, ie. both amarok and skype or totem?

I actually was able to have sound from both amarok and skype at the same time, but since I upgraded to skype 1.4 it's just a distant memory. I wouldn't like to downgrade though, so if there's no way then bad luck. ;-)
rootkowski
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Sound related

Postby scorp123 on Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:14 am

rootkowski wrote:I have been wondering for a while now if it's possible to play sound from more than one app at a time
Sure. If you have GNOME all you need are the esd libraries (should be running anyway?). KDE uses arts.

sudo apt-get install libesd0 .... or something like that.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Postby rootkowski on Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:31 pm

Hmm, that's a tricky one, because when I enable ESD Skype stops working (no sound in, nor out). I was out for help on skype's forum and the only solution they could come up with was to disable ESD. Maybe I should nag on them a bit more then. :-)

Edit (11 JUL):
Yesterday I wasn't able to give a more complete answer, sorry. Now I checked with synaptic and I have libesd-alsa0 installed. Should I still install libesd0 and the dev package too?
With ESD enabled and running and amarok running I cannot play anything in Totem. It simply freezes. I haven't tried other apps though.
rootkowski
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Husse on Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:28 pm

The solution I used for Skype in Bianca (not installed it in Cassandra yet) was to use an USB headset for skype and so be independent of the sound system. I needed a mic anyway...
Not expensive
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Newbie Questions