Can't login!

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
micahh2

Can't login!

Post by micahh2 »

It seems I have done it again, I cant login to my primary account. Near as i can tell it logs me in but instantly logs me out. I believe this first happened after I locked the screen for the first time after installing Mint 8.

I can login to root
I'm on a new temporary account that i set up through root.
My hard drive is not full.
I hear the login sound just before it kicks me back to the login screen
I am pretty sure that I am not miss typing my password

I hope you guys can help! I love Linux Mint 8, its a sheer joy to work with. :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Can't login!

Post by Husse »

From the root account delete the .ICEauthority file in home and .Xauthority too if it exists
Reboot and there's a good chance you can log in
One reason for this to happen is to use sudo with a GUI app like gedit and not gksudo
micahh2

Post by micahh2 »

No dice, nothing seems to have changed. Thanks for your help though!
micahh2

Post by micahh2 »

Scratch that, in a attempt to figure out what was wrong I tried to login to a KDE environment instead of Gnome. Once i realized i could do that, i remembered that i had disabled the account's administrator status and that one of the start up items i had added had the command "sudo" in it. Off topic but how would one run an application as root when it logs in without using gksudo and typing in my password every time?
micahh2

Post by micahh2 »

Should I start another thread?
micahh2

Post by micahh2 »

It appears that I have a real knack for solving my own problem minuets after posting... any way i fixed it, the *.conf file of the start up program was owned by root making me have to run it as root. I just opened the folder as root and changed it's permissions.
Thank you for all your help! :D I love Linux Mint!
Husse

Post by Husse »

Which conf file did you change?

Return to “Beginner Questions”