Can/Should I upgrade to Helena?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.

Can/Should I install Helena

Yes, your comp can handle Helena and you should try it
67%
Your comp meets the requirements, but you should stick with Gloria
17%
No, your comp doesn't meet the requirements, but you should get an upgrade and then install helena
No votes
No, your comp can't run Helena and Gloria is better anyway.
17%

Total votes: 6

obscenelyappropriate

Can/Should I upgrade to Helena?

Post by obscenelyappropriate »

okay, I read the sys reqs for Helena. I have plenty of disk space and more than enough RAM, but I'm a little confused about the cpu? attached is a screenshot of the Mint System Monitor, but before you judge looking at that, here's a little background:
A while ago I decided I didn't like Vista and might like to try something else so I read a review of Gloria and thought it sounded pretty good. So I partitioned my hard drive and installed Gloria alongside Vista. I loved it. But now my Root partition is getting kind of crowded because it's so small. Now I'm thinking I'll just back everything up to an external hard drive and do a full Mint install but I can't decide whether to stay with Gloria, or give Helena a try. My entire hard drive is 72.4 GB and the Linux partition is only 12.4 GB (excluding swap) so we can ignore the "available disk space: 8.3GiB"; it's just the processor that I'm looking at.
So does my computer have the requirements for Helena, and is it worth it or should I just reinstall Gloria? I believe I can remember hearing some people praise Helena and others dis it, so based on my comp's capabilities and your personal experiences, what do you think I should do?
Screenshot-System Monitor.png
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Can/Should I upgrade to Helena?

Post by remoulder »

Why not just a) get a bigger hard drive, b) repartition your drive to reduce the space for vista and increase the space for linux, c) get rid of vista and use the whole drive for mint, d) use a USB drive?
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
gravelbay

Post by gravelbay »

Hard drives are cheap! :D I did a fresh back up to my external drive, removed my Gloria drive, and put in a spare drive. After installing Helena, I copied my stuff back over from the back-up, and I was back in business in no time flat knowing that, if I didn't like it, I could just change back to the original drive. The original drive is still sitting here on my desk, BTW.
obscenelyappropriate

Post by obscenelyappropriate »

gravelbay wrote:Hard drives are cheap! :D I did a fresh back up to my external drive, removed my Gloria drive, and put in a spare drive. After installing Helena, I copied my stuff back over from the back-up, and I was back in business in no time flat knowing that, if I didn't like it, I could just change back to the original drive. The original drive is still sitting here on my desk, BTW.
But then again, my laptop's hard drive is not the only place where I have files i want to back up. I also have a desktop (the family computer) where I have files that need backed up. My dad's getting our family an external for Christmas so he, my mom, and I can all back up our important files to it. and btw, the definition of "cheap" varies with your economic standing.
gravelbay

Post by gravelbay »

obscenelyappropriate wrote:
gravelbay wrote:Hard drives are cheap! :D I did a fresh back up to my external drive, removed my Gloria drive, and put in a spare drive. After installing Helena, I copied my stuff back over from the back-up, and I was back in business in no time flat knowing that, if I didn't like it, I could just change back to the original drive. The original drive is still sitting here on my desk, BTW.
But then again, my laptop's hard drive is not the only place where I have files i want to back up. I also have a desktop (the family computer) where I have files that need backed up. My dad's getting our family an external for Christmas so he, my mom, and I can all back up our important files to it. and btw, the definition of "cheap" varies with your economic standing.
I didn't know you were dealing with a laptop. They are not so cheap. And having multiple installations would cost a bit.

I only have a laptop for when I travel or have to use it on equipment in the field. The desktop is my real machine because it's so rebuild-able and you get so much more bang for the buck.

I used to use the laptop for trying out new distros, because I don't use it for work that much. But since I have several decommissioned but still functional 3-1/2" hard drives lying about, it's easy to experiment on the desktop 'puter. Either way I do all my experimentation on one machine. Then, when it's satisfactory, I put it on the other one if that's what I want to do. So it's not necessary to have a spare drive for both of them. I'd suggest playing with one computer, get it how you like it, and then you'll know what to do with the other one. Just my 2 cents worth and maybe that's already your plan. :wink:

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but here's my perspective when I said drives are cheap. My first internal hard drive was 40 MB and cost $270 at a ham fest. It would have cost a lot more in a computer store. My newest internal hard drive is 12,500 time larger and cost me about $85. If you don't have $85 available, that's expensive, but compared to 25 years ago, it's practically free. :)

Return to “Beginner Questions”