HELP!!! I lost ll my drivers on my HP installing MINT 8

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
alenu2linux

HELP!!! I lost ll my drivers on my HP installing MINT 8

Post by alenu2linux »

Hey everybody.
I made a huge mistake that I'm hoping someone can help me out with. I have an HP Pavilion tx1000 laptop. It originally comes with Windows Vista. I made a partition and had Vista running on one side and Ubuntu 9.04 on the other without any trouble. Ubuntu recognized my sound card, WIFI...everything without a problem. Then I discovered Linux Mint 8. I decided to get rid of Vista and use only Linux Mint 8, since I liked it so much, but this was a big mistake. I formatted my laptop, I got rid of Vista and without realizing it I got rid of the original drivers for my sound card, wifi, webcam, touchscreen etc :shock: ...so of course, I'm on Mint 8 only now and have no way to connect to the internet (cables won't work either), no webcam, nothing. I don't have the original Vista CD. Can anyone please guide me through to recovering my HP? PLEASE HELP!! :cry: :cry:
Thanks in advance guys...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JAHGoVeg

Re: HELP!!! I lost ll my drivers on my HP installing MINT 8

Post by JAHGoVeg »

I Really hope this works :D i searched hp's site for your model you gave and here are the results im not sure wich one you have so i will let you try
this site gives driver downloads but i'm pretty sure they're for windows so i dont they will help.

http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Lookup?h ... 00&x=0&y=0

also you said
I don't have the original Vista CD.
I am pretty sure you can order a recovery cd from HP oh wait no i am sure :idea:
this site is instructions on how to order recovery CD's (Hope its still under warranty.) :)
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/docu ... us&lang=en

hope it helps tell us if it does

JAHGoVeg
Jose Hernandez

P.S. i found all this info using GOOGLE!!! :mrgreen:
MaddogF16

Post by MaddogF16 »

alenu2linux wrote:Hey everybody.
I made a huge mistake that I'm hoping someone can help me out with. I have an HP Pavilion tx1000 laptop. It originally comes with Windows Vista. I made a partition and had Vista running on one side and Ubuntu 9.04 on the other without any trouble. Ubuntu recognized my sound card, WIFI...everything without a problem. Then I discovered Linux Mint 8. I decided to get rid of Vista and use only Linux Mint 8, since I liked it so much, but this was a big mistake. I formatted my laptop, I got rid of Vista and without realizing it I got rid of the original drivers for my sound card, wifi, webcam, touchscreen etc :shock: ...so of course, I'm on Mint 8 only now and have no way to connect to the internet (cables won't work either), no webcam, nothing. I don't have the original Vista CD. Can anyone please guide me through to recovering my HP? PLEASE HELP!! :cry: :cry:
Thanks in advance guys...

Well we learned one lesson here, try the live-cd out completely before deciding to install, especially wiping a OS that you don't have the discs for. Mint 8 and any Linux has it's own drivers on the install disk, wiping Vista only gets rid of the windows drivers. Since you formatted the partition and don't have re-install media for Vista you will need to purchase the disc, most likely from HP. You could always download and burn a copy of U 9.10 and try the live-cd of that and see if it operates all your hardware.
alenu2linux

Post by alenu2linux »

Hey guys....
Thank you very, very much for your replies and your help.
Firstly, I'm gonna pass on ordering a new windows CD or buying a new one. I already downloaded the original drivers for my laptop but, of course, there has to be a Windows OS running on the computer for the drivers to install, and that's what there is not.

I downloaded Ubuntu 9.10, as MaddogF16 recommended:
You could always download and burn a copy of U 9.10 and try the live-cd of that and see if it operates all your hardware.
It recognizes everything, phew!! I plugged the cable in and it connects me to the Internet. Now, without the cable, it recognizes WIFI, it says that my home line is available, I can access my line but it doesn't connect. Is there something I need to do to configure my WIFI/Internet line/I dunno...something on Ubuntu? Any ideas guys?

Again, Thanks in advance for your responses, you've been of great help!
alenu2linux

Post by alenu2linux »

Ok, guys...
So this is the final verdict:
I restarted my Laptop and boom! Ubuntu 9.10 now not only recognizes my WIFI Card, but it connects perfectly!!! Phew!!
Now, I'll just take it step by step. I'll need to check for the Touchscreen, sound card and all the rest. I'll move it around and tell you how it goes. Thanks a MILLION!!!!!

:D :D :D
JAHGoVeg

Post by JAHGoVeg »

glad to hear that

Return to “Beginner Questions”