using bianca, installation problems

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

using bianca, installation problems

Postby amidst7nights on Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:25 pm

I've been trying to install programs that weren't on adept because i cant get automatix running right. Once i download them, there's no installation option and i cant find any alternatives to get them working...as is obvious, i am a complete newbie. I specifically need kdissert (freemind), gaim (or pidgin), and thunderbird.
amidst7nights
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Husse on Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:57 pm

??
kdissert and gaim are in the repos - you can find them in synaptics so you should find them in adept. Have you refreshed (or what ever it's called) adept
apt-get update in a terminal
Thunderbird is oddly enough not in synaptics but you find it in the software portal
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

software portal?

Postby amidst7nights on Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:22 pm

i found a deb package for kdissert and got it working from online, but pidgin's deb package keeps having an error during installation, and nope, none of them are in my adept strangely. i tried apt-get update:

apt-get update
E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/apt/lists/lock - open (13 Permission denied)
E: Unable to lock the list directory
amidst7nights
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:25 pm

Sorry - when you are used to something it's easy to forget that everybody is not
This is a command to be run as root sudo apt-get
The repositories should be the same....
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby amidst7nights on Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:30 pm

thank you... :oops:
amidst7nights
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions