Add XP to Mint 8 laptop

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
boothyuk

Add XP to Mint 8 laptop

Post by boothyuk »

Hi

Please don't laugh too hard.....

I have an old laptop which my father-in-law has installed Mint 8 on for me. I'm Windows savvy but a total novice with Linux etc. Is there an easy guide to installing XP as a dual boot without having to reformat? I would need something VERY easy to follow!

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nukm

Re: Add XP to Mint 8 laptop

Post by nukm »

XP needs an ntfs partition or it won't install (it would likely go in with a FAT32 partition but likely would reformat it to ntfs).

So, the answer to your question is - no.

Then, if you decide to repartition (format), then you must decide on the bootloader and its placement. Since you are windows "savvy", I'm sure you know how to config the XP bootloader to run the Linux install.

Other wise, it is GRUBII and you'll need to read up on it to reinstall GRUBII and config for XP.

You know about the MBR, etc?

Return to “Beginner Questions”