Can't edit some Rhythmbox song properties???

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dmjudalet

Can't edit some Rhythmbox song properties???

Post by dmjudalet »

I am completely new to linux. Trying to organize music files in Rhythmbox and some, mostly CD's I previously ripped in windows media player and transferred after switching to linux, but not all, some are downloads. When I open properties I cannot edit...main problem I have with this is some soundtracks I ripped will only display as 'soundtrack' under artist. Is there a way to fix this???
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Can't edit some Rhythmbox song properties???

Post by remoulder »

Are all the tracks on your linux drive or are some still on a windows partition? Do you have the right permissions on the tracks you can't edit, ie. are you the owner? Right click on a track, go to Properties, then Permissions. Who does it say is the owner? If you do you have Read and Write permission on the track?
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
dmjudalet

Post by dmjudalet »

Should all be on Linux drive now...this is a new laptop and my tech wiped windows and installed linux mint, then transferred all my docs, pics, music with an external hard drive. When I tried checking permissions I don't even see that option in properties...just Basic, Details and Lyrics tabs. Most of the files I'm having trouble with are from CD's I purchased and ripped to my library, but some were downloaded from frostwire (or limewire on my old desktop). Any other suggestions?
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

dmjudalet wrote:When I tried checking permissions I don't even see that option in properties
Sorry I didn't mean within rhythmbox, I meant within nautilus file manager.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
dmjudalet

Post by dmjudalet »

Well I went into my my music library earlier and went into properties that way and found a permissions tab...says I have read and write access.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

But did you check permissions on any of the tracks you can't access, or just the folder?

At a bit of a loss otherwise. You could try updating rhythmbox, there's a later version on removed, or a different music manager such as amarok, banshee or exaile. Alternatively you could install something like easytag to edit tags manually.

Return to “Beginner Questions”