Problems in video playback.. and reg grub editing..

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Problems in video playback.. and reg grub editing..

Postby prasadden on Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:58 am

Hi,
I've just installed the Linux Mint Cassandra edition in my desktop, which has XP Pro as the primary OS. Now, this distro is looking very good. But I have a small problem. When I play videos (be it any type of file, in any player) the display looks too bright aand washed out.. I have an Intel 845GVSR MoBo with onboard graphics.. What is the problem here..? Sound works good..

And I would like to edit the grub so that it does not display the memtest and the other kernel options.. How do I do that..??
prasadden
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Husse on Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:23 am

There seems to be (or have been) a driver issue with 845GVSR. Other than that I have no answer, but check this out:
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2512
As for grub - you should NOT remove the other options - one day you want to log in with the older kernel or make a memtest.
To do this edit your grub/menu.lst
You could remove all memtest but one.
Move the other options down the list and you won't see them without the use of the arrow keys
I agree that it is annoying with all these options...
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Newbie Questions