Default live user password

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Default live user password

Postby jasonjohnson0 on Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:01 pm

OK, I am not really a newbie but I am having some difficulty supporting mint 8 for a friend. He downloaded and burned the iso a a live CD and is running it live (no installation- Just giving it a test drive). I havent seen it yet -gotta make a trip for more cds- but he says it botts up to a login screen and can not log in at all. Limited account user nor root and any combinations of default live passwords. Therefore my question is simply what is the login info for the live distro? M8?
jasonjohnson0
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Default live user password

Postby rob2uk on Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:46 pm

The only times I've had the LiveCD ask for a username/password have been when it's a bad burn, or when it's a low-spec PC.

Try entering the username as root and leaving the password blank
GA-965-DS3, Core 2 Quad 2.4GHz, 8GB DDR2, 2x1TB HDD, Linux Mint 11
Acer Aspire 5332, Pentium dual core 2.2GHz, 4GB DDR3, 500GB HDD, Linux Mint 11, Linux Mint Debian
Compaq CQ-60, Sempron 2.10GHz, 4GB DDR2, 120GB HDD, Tinycore 3.7rc2 (Minecraft server!)
rob2uk
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Default live user password

Postby jasonjohnson0 on Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:03 pm

oops! guess that might have been key to know but the cd has already run on that machine 3 times before. He said he tried to do a package upgrade on the live distro and there was some issue with the mouse, blah blah and now when he reboots it asks for a PW....there, there ya go that is all I got. Thanks!!!
jasonjohnson0
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions