a im a windows user and want to install linux mint (helena)

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
applesios

a im a windows user and want to install linux mint (helena)

Post by applesios »

and in need help to get started

as i install it it automatically installing my drivers ?

wifi driver, webcam driver, bluetooth driver, screen card driver, keyboard driver (im using a laptop), usb drivers, my DVD super multi drive,

im just a beginner and want to know it all

oh and can you give me screen video capture software?
thanks adn waiting for reply
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kpu57

Re: a im a windows user and want to install linux mint (helena)

Post by kpu57 »

Just boot the Live CD first - you will be able to try out everything without affecting your Windows installation.

The drivers should all install automatically.

If you decide to install - you can do so and keep your Windows installation also - if there is enough space on your hard drive.

Good Luck!
applesios

Post by applesios »

thanks looking forward to the installation part

im currently DOWNLOADING
but thx anyway
applesios

Post by applesios »

first of all i figure at our that i need to burn the ISO image, than insert the CD and from there what can anyone bring me screenshots?
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gibbs1984 »

applesios wrote:first of all i figure at our that i need to burn the ISO image, than insert the CD and from there what can anyone bring me screenshots?
As long as your computer boots from the CD (might need to change the BIOS) then the Live CD should do everything for you, and bring up the desktop, it'll seem like it's taking a while but Live CD's normally do.
Linux Mint 20.3 (Cinnamon) 64bit.
kpu57

Post by kpu57 »

You probably need to change the order of boot devices in your PC bios.
Make sure the CD drive is above the hard drive so it will boot first.
To get in the BIOS setup you have to press F2 or Delete or some other key before Windows boots.
applesios

Post by applesios »

thanks for everything

can everyone bring me screen video capture software?
gravelbay

Post by gravelbay »

applesios wrote:thanks for everything

can everyone bring me screen video capture software?
Once you get Mint installed, open the Synaptic Package Manager. It will ask for your root password. Then type "screen video capture" in the search window at the top of the package manager (w/o quotes, of course). Then you can browse the list. Or, type "gtk-recordmydesktop" to get to one particular one that looks interesting to me, although I have not tried it. When you find the one you want, right-click it and mark for installation. Then click the "Apply" button on the toolbar and sit back & wait for the files to download and install. I think you'll find that it's WAY easier than Windows. :D
applesios

Post by applesios »

in a few minutes i will begin the installation of kinux mint 8 (HELENA)

and i just wanted to know

is linux mint 8 (helena) universal in hebrew bootable?
rmockler

Post by rmockler »

I don't know how far along you are in your install of Linux Mint, but if you read closely on the Helena downloads page you will see that there are three editions:
1. Main Edition
2. Universal Edition
3. x64 Edition

If you have a 32 bit machine, you will probably want to download and install the Main Edition
The Universal Edition is for special uses, they are listed in the description of the Universal Edition on the downloads page
If you have a 64 bit machine you may want to use the x64 Edition

This is written for you to double check that you really want the Universal Edition, I rather doubt that.....
applesios

Post by applesios »

THANK you so much everyone i just installed linux mint and it's WORKING GREAT

thank you so MUCH

Return to “Beginner Questions”